Can't afford a Brompton ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldbadger

Regular
FFS! If you've got a point can you kindly make the bugger?
If not, can we move on, because I for one am getting bored with this.
OK........ Where would you like to move on to....... ? But remember, this thread is all about getting a folder which doesn't cost Brompton prices.
Ok....... your move. What advice have you got? :tongue:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
*mod*

If this thread is to remain open it will do so without petty bickering and cut and paste Google searches which do not appear to provide alternatives to Bromptons.

Smileys also do not reduce the implied or perceived rudeness of the preceeding words either.

I am mindful on the way this thread is being derailed into a 'look you can't take a Bromptons here either' vs 'yes you can' session, that Cycle Bug hasn't been seen on CC since 21st September so whatever benefit this thread may have been to them has likely passed now.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you're after advice on cheaper folders, then, as ever, if you want the best value go to Decathlon.
Their folding bikes are pretty good for the price.
They are not, however, as good as a Brompton. They don't fold as small or as quickly.
Tern / DaHon (available under various guises) are not bad, but I'd be concerned about reliability. See various CC threads for problems people have had.
Mezzo and Birdy bikes have a dedicated following, and can be found secondhand.
The A-Bike is utterly horrid. Don't go there.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm a dedicated Birdyista, my Brompton has gone to a new home in preference for my Birdy, but cheap new they aren't and TBH second hand prices I see are not far off 2nd hand Bromptons, albeit the depreciation for the Birdy has been steeper from their relative starting price.

I didn't really like the flimsy feel of my old Dahon, although it was an older model and newer are better.

I am a big fan of Decathlon kit and was very interested in the Tilt when they initially came out but the hinge flex when I test rode a few was alarming and supply seemed very hit and miss. The range appears now to have thinned out and is less visible in store.

The thing with folders is to start with your needs and work backwards from there, including consideration of cost, remembering that cheaper doesn't necessarily equate to best value for your particular requirement from the bike. Also folders tend to be longer term acquisitions than e.g. road or mountain bike and so while the initial outlay may look pretty steep, the year on year cost becomes quite small over the life of the bike.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
As part of my retirement package I get free travel on any transport run by tfl , as part of my retirement I choose to ride my Brompton in London instead........

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
As part of my retirement package I get free travel on any transport run by tfl , as part of my retirement I choose to ride my Brompton in London instead........
That was kind of my justification too, I know you are riding in preference to PT. My Birdy was expensively Kaput as was my knee and I was unsure day to day if having ridden in to work or town if I'd be able to ride home or if I'd need to hop (sometimes literally) on the Metrolink, which had newly opened to Oldham. With a C2W and multi modal near necessity, the Brompton was the most practical & economic option at that time.

Transport for Greater Manchester also specify Bromptons as the only bike they permit, but as long as it's a small enough fold, Birdy is, I've not had a problem with TfGM staff.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My agenda?
This thread is titled 'Can't afford a Brompton'.
So a good approach to that title might include steering away from Bromptons (which can't be afforded) to other less expensive makes. See? Get it?
It might help to show that in some areas that Bromptons aren't necessarily the ideal machine.
But then folks come along.... asking, 'What's your agenda?'
So we do our best to explain........
By the way....... 'What's your agenda?' ^_^
Anti zealot it would seem....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Or a supermarket trolley troll?

FTFY :okay:

Kell

Veteran
who can afford a Brompton?

Like all things in life, it depends on how useful it is compared to the alternatives. I live about 30 miles outside of London, and about 3 miles from the train station my end. So my journey involves cycling to the station, getting the train and then cycling the other end.

Without my bike, I'd need to drive to the station and get the tube which means I'd pay:

Parking at the station is £108.20 x 12 = £1,298.40.

Monthly tube ticket: £124.50 x12 = £1,494.

That's £2,792.40 a year. Or almost three Bromptons. That also doesn't include petrol.

So far from it being expensive, it saves me money.

Of course, the same argument applies to cheaper bikes as much as it does to more expensive ones. But the purchase cost has to be compared to what your alternatives are.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I got rid of my car, I have free travel on the tube and buses etc but as I said earlier my preferred mode of transport is the Brompton in London. I got mine on the C2W scheme and added a bit to the 1k voucher but it is the best investment I've made and if I was still working and for a private company, I think buying a Brompton would pay for itself again and again.

Top Bottom