Can't be bothered to go cycling when it is cold outside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Cannot see any appeal whatsoever in a turbo.

Nor can I. It ranks on the same level as going to a gym to do exercise. Boring and tedious. Just do the real thing or give it a miss if it's really shite outside. You don't have to ride x number of days a week or do y number of miles. If the road conditions appeal then ride, if they don't then find something else to do instead.

Lovacott

Über Member
Nor can I. It ranks on the same level as going to a gym to do exercise. Boring and tedious. Just do the real thing or give it a miss if it's really shite outside. You don't have to ride x number of days a week or do y number of miles. If the road conditions appeal then ride, if they don't then find something else to do instead.
I've never been able to exercise just for the sake it. I can decide to start each day with 40 pressups and within a fortnight, I've found some excuse to stop doing it.

screenman

Legendary Member
I like using the turbo, I do a lot of swimming and I certainly enjoy the gym on top of that I have no problem with finding the desire or discipline to workout each day, I do also ride the bike all year and always have done so for a very long time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I see your point, where abouts in the Mediterranean do you live?
Lancashire!

This conversation sparked my interest as it's my belief weather in general is not as bad as we always remember it. I'm convinced the risk of ice has very little impact on my cycling but thought I'd investigate. Sorry to bore folk with this!! 😄

I found Lancashire CC is required to hold stockpiles of grit salt to last 12 days which is sufficient to cover the county. They are legally required to have this stock before winter. To me this suggests the expectation is there will be in an average winter 12 days when road conditions are hazardous enough to require gritting. Bang in the middle of my guessed range.

The average winter temperature in my area is 4⁰C but yes in rural areas and around dawn can easily be 5⁰C lower.

I fully agree as cyclists we could well be on dangerous ungritted roads and if like you have to use these spikes make perfect sense.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Oop ere in Yorkshire, I lose about 3 or 4 commuting days a year to ice. Some winters, like the last one, I had no days lost.

This is with me riding between before 8am. Of those 3 or 4 lost days, I could have ridden if I was cycling after the mid-morning thaw.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ice and snow is a rare opportunity to practice certain extreme control skills, well worth braving it out if approached with suitable caution.
Yep.

gmclean

Regular
In the summer I would be out on my bike couple times a week. Now I can't be bothered to go out on my bike once a week. The cold weather is really off putting and I never know how to dress, while in the summer it would be cycling shorts and a short sleeve jersey. Does anyone else feel the same?
I'm not a fan. I have the layers but even that doesn't bring the motivation.

Lovacott

Über Member
I'm not a fan. I have the layers but even that doesn't bring the motivation.
My own experience of winter riding, is that you get some really crisp, wind free days with clear blue skies.

Plus, you get less traffic on the roads.

It all adds up to an idyllic riding experience.

When it comes to keeping warm, it's the extremities which are the challenge (fingers, toes, ears). The rest of the body keeps itself warm by doing stuff (pumping pedals uphill is a great way to get warm).

You don't see footballers playing an away CL game in Minsk in January wearing bloody great jackets and layers of leggings. They might chuck on a vest and some will wear gloves, but that's about it.

Top Bottom