Can't be bothered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
I highly recommend either going on other people's forum rides or organising some yourself!

I have a small envelope of time in a morning to go for a ride before interest wanes, if I do not get out of bed whilst I have the keeness to go, then the chances diminish as the time passes. After about an hour, I will start to think that I could be 16 to 18 miles from home by now and at that point, I will go or not go.

But if I am doing something different, club ride or event, or as Colin says, a forum ride, then I'm restless, itching to go all night, and there's no stopping me. Alternatively, buying something new to try on the ride, looking at a map and finding something interesting to go and look at where you have never been before, set up a challenge for yourself, or do some interesting training all helps.

At the moment I have got hooked on long rides with low heart rates which has got me all keen again because of the big benefits I am seeing. On Saturday, I climbed a very steep hill and I was facinated by the fact my heart rate never got above 133, apart for the last 100 yards when I gave it some umph to finish it off and hit 151. That hill usually has me in the 170+ from the bottom to the top, but on Saturday, I got up just as fast as normal. Its hard to do, as someone will always fly past you and its hard to take up the challenge, but its got me very motivated.

If I was to look at my stats, the biggest percentage of rides happen in a morning.

Since 2009, I have done the following, not counting commuting:-

Mornings - 268 rides
Mid Morning - 51 Rides
Afternoon - 26 Rides
Evening - 24 Rides
Night - 1 Ride

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I thought yesterday was a beautiful day for a ride - yes the wind was a pain but there was no need for a jacket or waterproofs. It was slow going so I stopped at a pub AND at a cafe and sat outside and had a drink at both. I saw the last of the blossom, loads of bluebells and the fields of rape looked glorious. I even stopped to take a few photos.

Last year I was great at making excuses "It's too warm" or "It's not warm enough" - what I meant was "It isn't fun" and really that doesn't have much to do with the weather.

Jezston

Über Member
Did lots of riding down in London over the bank hol weekend, despite the cold wind trying to spoil it. Back home and could NOT be ARSED to ride in to work this morning. Absolutely knackered. Didn't get in til 10.

tyred

Legendary Member
I find that some of my best rides happen when I've had to give myself a kick up the backside to get out of the house. Alternatively, if I'm looking forward to a ride and can't wait to get on the bike, I sometimes then find the whole thing a struggle.

Funny, that's my experience too.

Jezston

Über Member
If you can't hack the wind, cheat !

I find getting the train upwind then cycling back with a tail wind all the way is a superb morale booster.

That's great but most days I find I have a headwind on the way to work and somehow miraculously the wind has changed direction a complete 180 degrees to be a headwind again on my way home.

Chutzpah

Über Member
In order to face up to cycling the 10 mile, 1000ft ascent commute today after 11 days off I decided to take a new, completely different route. Otherwise I admit I was going to take the car. It worked as I had great fun discovering a new, quiet route. Slightly more climbing but if anything the gradients were less harsh, just more consistent climbing.

Then for the commute home I called the wife to check I wasn't needed for anything pertinent and did a random 15 miles to get home. Definitely a lot more hilly/rolling than usual but again it was good to do something different. Since my ride home is never as fun as the ride in doing that was a godsend.

So variation is definitely good, especially for something as regular as a commute.

I also agree with what zacklaws said about group rides. I literally count down the days to them. Every time I agree to go on one I'm reminded how much I look forward to them.

Glover Fan

If it wasn't for Sunday morning club rides i'd struggle to keep the motivation up if i'm honest. My job is completely independent and partaking in a sport that it is largely lonesome doesn't help the situation!!!

As of next Monday will be "unofficially" time trialing with a few mates as well. Thank god. I wish all my rides were just organised Audaxes. lol

Top Bottom