Can't brake!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elvisparsley

I have a Giant SCR and today I was struggling to apply my brakes hard enough from on the hoods when going steeply downhill. I had to get on the drops and brake from there. Scary. Is there any way I can make it easier to apply the brakes by bringing the levers closer to the bars or adjusting something or other?

Dave5N

Über Member
Why weren't you on the drops anyway if you were descending?
:becool:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have you lubed your cables lately? If not, try dribbling 3-in-1 down inside the cable housing while working the brakes to help it along. How long since you checked the blocks? Some (quite a lot) run out of 'good block' long before they run out of block.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Since changing to Koolstop pads, I've found that my SCR2's rear braking performance is now awful. I'm now using Salmons on the rear too after the blacks wore away, but still the same disappointing lack of stopping power - even in the dry.

The pads and rims are clean and uncontaminated, the pads are very close to the rims, striking them evenly, and the cable has been checked, removed from the outer and lubed up. No difference.

On the original pads that came on the bike, I could slow down and stop using the rear alone without any problems.

Strangely, the front braking is still as effective as it was with the original pads now that I'm using Salmons.

Top Bottom