Can't breath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
As soon as I start to climb any hill I feel tight chested and it's like I can't breath. Does anyone have advice.

Like others have said, get to the docs! If the doc says you have nothing wrong then just keep riding the hills and you will get better.

Hope it's nothing serious.

Jody

Stubborn git
I would go and see the DR which is what I did when I had a problem with my breathing and it turned out I have exercised induced asthma

Same here. Got some good advice off this forum so went to see the doc and he gave me a blue inhaler. It was about his time of year that I started with coughing (post ride) and not being able to exhale properly. Not used it since spring due to higher air temps but had to start using it again in the last week.

Citius

My previous post was deleted for being unhelpful - which is an absurd misinterpretation of what I was trying to say.

A snapshot of symptoms like the OP has given is meaningless without some context or reference to how hard he had been riding, how long he had been riding, how long he has been riding for in general, his state of general health, weight, habits (like smoking) and whether he has any pre-existing conditions or pre-disposition to symptoms like those described.

If none of that is given (and none of it was) then people are just going to say 'go to the docs' - which is probably already obvious to him, and therefore - ironically - not particularly helpful either.

If posters genuinely require help - as opposed to glib, throwaway 'get to the docs' type comments, then if you are posting a health-related problem, the quality of the answers you get will ALWAYS reflect the content of the question. Now, it may well be that 'get to the docs' is indeed the correct and most appropriate answer. But without offering more detail, that is all you will ever get.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
My previous post was deleted for being unhelpful - which is an absurd misinterpretation of what I was trying to say.

A snapshot of symptoms like the OP has given is meaningless without some context or reference to how hard he had been riding, how long he had been riding, how long he has been riding for in general, his state of general health, weight, habits (like smoking) and whether he has any pre-existing conditions or pre-disposition to symptoms like those described.

If none of that is given (and none of it was) then people are just going to say 'go to the docs' - which is probably already obvious to him, and therefore - ironically - not particularly helpful either.

If posters genuinely require help - as opposed to glib, throwaway 'get to the docs' type comments, then if you are posting a health-related problem, the quality of the answers you get will ALWAYS reflect the content of the question. Now, it may well be that 'get to the docs' is indeed the correct and most appropriate answer. But without offering more detail, that is all you will ever get.
I wouldnt take it personal, this is a health issue and it could be serious so not something to ignore.

It also may seem obvious to you but it may not be obvious to the person himself, which is why he asked for advice. A colleague at work had similar symptons, climbing a few flights stairs caused him to be breathing heavy but he put it down to not being fit. It was only when someone saw him struggle they said he should probably see a doctor, if not for that he would have ignored it. In his case it WAS serious, hopefully it isnt for the OP.

Citius

Like I say - it's quite possible that 'get to the docs' is indeed the correct answer. Or it is equally possible that visiting the docs could be a waste of everyone's time. But more specific information will invite more specific answers.

it's just down to lack of fitness and lung capacity
That's what I thought as a kid, when I couldn't run around the oval without running out of breath. 20 years later when the symptoms returned - the wheezing, the itchiness right in the middle of my chest - but responded immediately to Ventolin, I realised it was asthma.

(I'd got the Ventolin for viral triggered asthma that I'd also had as a kid, but they used to call that set of symptoms "chronic bronchitis' so I wasn't diagnosed at the time. I didn't know to tell the doctor my chest itched and a I couldn't breath when I ran; I just thought I was very unfit.)

Or it is equally possible that visiting the docs could be a waste of everyone's time.
Really? I don't think anyone (but you) would regard visiting a GP for shortness of breath to be a waste of time, even if it turns out to be nothing. Statistically, if everyone who suspected COPD or asthma went to the doctor asap, I'd bet we'd have better outcomes that would justify the percentage that were "a waste of time"

NHS wants you to call your doctor http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/shortness-of-breath/Pages/Introduction.aspx

If you've struggled with your breathing for a while, don't ignore it. See your GP as it's likely you have a long-term condition, such as obesity,asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which needs to be managed properly.

Your doctor may ask you some questions, such as:

• Did the breathlessness come on suddenly or gradually?
  • Did anything trigger it, such as exercise?
  • How bad is it? Does it only happen when you've been active, or when you're not doing anything?
  • Is there any pain when you breathe?
  • Do you have a cough?
  • Do certain positions make it worse – for example, are you unable to lie down?
Feeling like you can't get enough air can be terrifying, but doctors are well trained in managing this. You may be given extra oxygen to breathe if this is needed.

Certainly if I'd got ventolin as a kid, it would have improved my quality of life, instead of sitting out sporting events believing I needed to get fit first. That's assuming I wasn't classified as an invalid, which is how kids with asthma were treated back then.

Citius

Nobody (but you) has mentioned 'shortness of breath' which kind of underlines the point I'm making about the lack of specifics and the likelihood of over-reacting..

Citius

He could provide more detail, like I suggested. Otherwise the answer to every question on this forum might as well be 'go to the doc'...

I don't think it should be too much to ask on a 'health advice' forum to provide as much context and detail as possible.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had exactly the same symptoms. I thought it was due to being an ex-smoker and assumed it was some kind of asthma/bronchial problem. It turned out to be a fairly drastic problem with my coronary arteries, hopefully now fixed by surgery. Angina doesn't have to be some kind of stabbing chest pain. Often it's just moderate breathlessness during exercise. Please go and see your GP. I didn't and, in retrospect, I was probably faintly lucky to get away with my life.
Pick up the phone and make an appointment.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
He could provide more detail, like I suggested. Otherwise the answer to every question on this forum might as well be 'go to the doc'...

I don't think it should be too much to ask on a 'health advice' forum to provide as much context and detail as possible.
I dont think this is helping the OP, he hasnt provided more info, its telling to me that he hasnt and is going to see a doctor, he hasnt said we are overeacting. Breathing is important and most people know the difference between being out of breath and feeling like they cant breath.

Top Bottom