Can't change into 3rd (on chain ring)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hatevessel

Regular
Hi there,

Please excuse any incorrect/hilariously misused terminology, I'm just starting out with cycling. Please feel free to correct me on anything, I suspect my ignorance of the correct terms means I can't currently google/youtube the answers I need.

I can't currently change into the 3rd 'big' gear (chain ring?). It will very occasionally work, but most of the time you just hear it clacking away, not quite getting into gear.

I took it back to the bike shop I bought it from, explaining the issue, and expected it to be fixed as part of the 6 week service. I'm afraid it worked for about 10 minutes... and to be honest, I've completely given up on them as their service has not filled me with any confidence whatsoever, both technically and in human terms.

On the plus side, it's an opportunity to learn something.

I saw a Halfords video explaining that you can tighten/loosen the cable by twisting the little knob next to the gear switcher, but I've not had any joy doing this whatsoever.

I suspect it's the result of it being a pretty cheap bike, but I'd expect you to be able to use all the gears at the very least, even if they index slowly, or whatever.

Any thoughts, or links to relevant material would be a great help.

For reference, this is my bike: http://www.cycleking.co.uk/CS450-700-ALU-EZ-FIRE-24SPD-BLACK-SPORTS-HYBRID-4-9-product-123.html

I can provide any photos/videos of relevant components if required.

(yes, I know... Ammaco... but I wanted to make sure I wasn't one of the plonkers with all the gear and no idea... I have a bad track record with hobbies... however, it looks like this one may just stick!).

Cheers

Tim Hall

The symptoms suggest it is a cable tension issue, with perhaps a bit of limit screw adjustment needed. In slightly easier to understand terms, to move the chain to the big ring, you're pulling on the cable from the gear lever. As the chain won't quite move onto the big ring, you either need to pull it a bit more (cable tension) or allow the mech (the thing that moves the chain) to move over a wee bit more by slightly slackening the limit screw. As it's a new bike, my money is on the cable tension, as cables tend to bed in over time. The goto video for gear adjustment is this one:

The Park Tools website also has some good stuff. Here.

If you have barrel adjusters on the brake levers/shifters then unscrew it, or make it longer. This will take up the slack. Should only need half a turn or one at most, once you eventually get to the limit on this, in time, it'll be a new cable or adjustment at the mech. Either way you'll be adjusting the mech, i guess.

If you have barrel adjusters on the brake levers/shifters then unscrew it, or make it longer. This will take up the slack. Should only need half a turn or one at most, once you eventually get to the limit on this, in time, it'll be a new cable or adjustment at the mech. Either way you'll be adjusting the mech, i guess.

Easier if you take the tension off by dropping to the inner ring, adjust a little and see how it goes, could also just be the hi-stop adjuster screw.

Top Bottom