Can't fit BB - please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I got my frame back from the painter and they didn't do a very good job with covering the BB thread...... I can't refit a BB now :wacko: - British frame (Reynolds 531) left hand thread on the drive side.

Open to suggestions please.......

Thanks in advance.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I got my frame back from the painter and they didn't do a very good job with covering the BB thread...... I can't refit a BB now :wacko: - British frame (Reynolds 531) left hand thread on the drive side.

Open to suggestions please.......

Thanks in advance.
A common problem easily rectified, a good local bike shop will have BB thread cutters to clean the threads for you, expensive to buy so ask them to do it; if you take in just the frame they should not charge much

Paul Smith
Touring Tips

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Just use an engineers' scriber point round the threads. The type with a right angle are best for this. Easily purchased for a couple of quid at your local engineering emporium.

Sleeping Menace

Even just going around the threads with a toothbrush sized wire brush will usually clean them up sufficiently.
start towards the inside and follow the threads outward a few times..
Beyond that, take anything with a fine point, and manually chase the threads from a few threads in, towards the outside..
You should be good from there.

http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org/category/cycling/

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Just use an engineers' scriber point round the threads. The type with a right angle are best for this. Easily purchased for a couple of quid at your local engineering emporium.

I'm guessing you have tried this, right? I might try it but I will try the wire toothbrush thing first :biggrin:

I just had a thought, is there anything like a strong paint stripper to clean powder coating?

Gerry Attrick

I have cleaned many threads using a scriber. In fact I have probably worn out more scribers this way than by their intended use!

You would be struggling to find a paint stripper for powder coat. If you did, a pound to a pinch of doo doo you would get it on a bit of paint you did not want to remove.

Incidentally, you can get proper thread cleaning tools to do this job, but they don't do any better job than a scriber point.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
I have cleaned many threads using a scriber. In fact I have probably worn out more scribers this way than by their intended use!

You would be struggling to find a paint stripper for powder coat. If you did, a pound to a pinch of doo doo you would get it on a bit of paint you did not want to remove.

Incidentally, you can get proper thread cleaning tools to do this job, but they don't do any better job than a scriber point.

Tomorrow I'll get THIS

Gerry Attrick

Tomorrow I'll get THIS

Should do the job. It is not a ten minute job as it takes care and persistence, but cheaper than alternatives.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Well, here is an update which hopefully might help somebody else one day.

I purchased the engineer's scriber and I began scribing away but the process is rather slow and I wasn't making much progress :biggrin: so I thought I would have to get the BB shell reface, however, I was advised against it as it shortens the life of the shell and it should only be done when the threads are damaged.

So, I got some gasket remover, powerful stuff, and applied some..... but first I sprayed some in a jar and with a little brush I applied to the affected area. Waited 10 minutes and with the scriber I removed the soft paint.

One side needed two applications but I got there in the end.

Gerry Attrick

An excellent idea Manonabike. I had never thought of gasket remover. I'll give it atry next time as I have some in stock. Glad the scriber did the job.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
An excellent idea Manonabike. I had never thought of gasket remover. I'll give it atry next time as I have some in stock. Glad the scriber did the job.

Oh yes, it was just the tool for the job...... it would come handy to clean under my finger nails too :biggrin:

Top Bottom