Can't get lowest gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Hi

Would like some maintenance advice please.

On the GF's Apollo MTB (I know, made of cheese) :becool: there was a clicking noise coming from the rear wheel when in mid gears, the front lowest gear and the rear gears at about 3 and 4 from the wheel.

A cursory look the other night when getting dark, I found that the rear derailer cogs where bent in towards the wheels, not sure when this happened as she did fall off the other day but the bike landed the other side. I bent the derailer back straight, and the clicking has stopped.

However, the bike will not engage the lowest gear, biggest cog near the hub, and the other gears are out of sync with the index shift on the handle bar. ie when selected 1, no 2 engaged, select 2 then cog 3 engaged etc. index 5 and 6 and the chain stays on cog 6. Not sure if this problem occured after the fall, it's just brought it to light.

I did have a quick go adjusting the hi and low stops, but the light faded and i didn't have the right tools with me anyhow. I have also found on the net about how to tighten the gear cable (as when trying to engage gear 1 it does take some force, which can't be right).

The gear selectors and darailers are Shimano by the way.

I'm going to have another look when i get home, just wondered if anyone had some suggestions? :evil:

Rich

Globalti

Legendary Member
Best solution would be just to throw the bike in the canal or strip it and plumb the frame into your heating as a towel rail.

If that doesn't appeal, get the derailleur hanger checked by a bike shop who will have a special tool for re-aligning. Next change the gear cable outers because if they haven't been changed for over 6 months the outer will have worn at the curve on the derailleur and will be causing the symptoms you describe. Having changed the cable outer you can start fiddling with the adjustments but doing that with worn cables at this stage is a waste of your time.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks for the reply Rigid Raider

I could do with a new towel rail :biggrin:

Although the bike is a few years old, it's only really been used for the last few weeks and clocked up about 50 mile. Do the cable outers come supplied ready to cut to size, or do I need a specific one to match the bike/gears etc? Is it worth changing the cable at the same time?

Regards

bingbong said:
Good advice Rigid Raider... does this mean RH100 i can have a new bike lol !!

damn, the missus has found me.....:smile: :sad:

you can have a new bike when you can ride further than the local duck pond :sad:

jimboalee

Your rear mech hanger got bent. You straightened it and the rear mech now needs adjusting.

Tell your nearest-and-dearest not to jump on the bike when she falls off it.

If you do decide to throw the bike away, could you leave it outside the rear gates of Solihull School tonight at about seven o'clock.

Top Bottom