can't help being a gumbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lutonloony

Über Member
Changing cassette at the weekend, so putting new chain on. Can I use the old chain and mole grips as a chainwhip, or will I be banished forevermore from the forum? :eek:

Jody

Stubborn git
Changing cassette at the weekend, so putting new chain on. Can I use the old chain and mole grips as a chainwhip, or will I be banished forevermore from the forum? :eek:

Seems like a decent bodge although I would be wary of molegrips crushing the chain which might make it snap when trying to get some leverage on it. Give it a go

Tim Hall

That sounds a grade A bit of MacGyvering. The next step is to make a chain whip using an old length of chain, a piece of 2 x 2 and a nail. Nail the chain onto the 2 x 2, wrap it round the cassette and also let the teeth dig into the 2 x 2.

Sharky

Guru
The chain whip I use is probably a pre-WW2 one, inherited from my dad. A very simple design and if you can find a steel bar to provide the lever, I think you can easily make one. Will load a photo later after we get back from our morning shopping trip.

OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member

Sharky

Guru
Photo as promised.

20170524_175730.jpg

The last cassette I had to remove was jammed on so hard from the factory that I had to take it to the LBS.

The workshop guy punched himself in the face with the longest lever I had ever seen trying to get it off.

Good luck!

OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member
The last cassette I had to remove was jammed on so hard from the factory that I had to take it to the LBS.

The workshop guy punched himself in the face with the longest lever I had ever seen trying to get it off.

Good luck!
I shall report

rualexander

Legendary Member
I've used mole grips loads of times, if you are binning the old cassette it's not a problem, but even if not binning it, I have never noticed any damage to the sprocket from doing so.
Mole grips clamped onto smallest sprocket, lockring tool and spanner to undo lockring. Easy job.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've had no problems using the chain whip tool thingy I have for my car.
It also undoes oil filters...

OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member
Molies on chain success. However due to small brain, put new chain on, without checking length. About 4 links too long, and managed to bend pin on chain splitter. Getting new one tomorrow, so omnibus to work. Hey ho

Top Bottom