Can't help thinking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Rain drops

Yesterday, on the bike, I was thinking about happiness, and how such simple things as a good downhill corner, a sudden stretch of new smooth road, or a bunch of galloping balls of wool with spindly legs (sheep) blindly hurtle dead ahead instead of swerving to the side, puts me into such a good mood. It's akin to a light pinging on in the mind, before fading back away as I desperately try to hold on to the feel good moment.

I'm sure cyclists in past times derived every bit as much fun out of their lesser marvels of technology, even back to Penny-Farthing times. (Though not, perhaps, Hobby-Horses.) I plan on finding an old early 1950's steel Raleigh roadster (with toe-clips and a large round dial handlebar mounted cable driven speedo) as I happily rode as a teen. I'd love to recall how it really felt, now I've been spoiled by carbon fibre wizardry, and all that. Just a nice fancy.

icowden

Veteran
For me personally, I cycled as a kid, then stopped once I was an older teen as I didn't need to cycle anywhere anymore (we moved house and no friends were in cycling distance).

Didn't cycle again until about 16 years ago (so aged about 30) when I realised that I could cycle to work in first Richmond and then Teddington via the towpath and Bushy Park. Then I got a job in town, so the cycling stopped. Finally it occurred to me that we had two cars and the only purpose for one of the cars was to be driven to the station where I had to pay the council or SWR for the privilege of parking it. So I sold the car and started commuting by bike, parking it at the station.

Bike got nicked, so I got a big folding bike and cycled to the station then from the station to London Bridge. About that time my BiL suggested doing London to Brighton. So we did (without any preparation). And that was when I got the bug to cycle more I think. Got a proper road bike and started doing more sportives. Then commuting got abolished by Covid, so I joined a couple of local clubs (a very civilised relaxed one rides on Saturdays and one that's a bit more pacy rides on Sundays).

I have to say i enjoy getting out once or twice a week now that I don't commute. It's lovely to move through nature and see the changing of the seasons. You don't notice that when you are moving from house to car to office. When you are on a bike you see, smell, feel (and in my case sneeze sometimes - thanks hayfever) the changing seasons.

I don't think I'm ever going to be one of those pace racing snake types, but I do like a good 40 miles or so social ride with cake in the middle.

I can't see me stopping now.

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

It does seem that many folk 'tail off' from, or give up highly active sports when they pass that milestone 'old age' of 40, not really for physical reasons, but from mental fatigue. (The continuing effort of self drive.)

I noticed that in surfing, when we rolled up in mid winter, car heaters blasting, and had to hop outside in the freezing wind to kit up in thick winter wet suit gear. (Usually still wet from the previous session.) Far easier for the older and longer serving ones to complain that conditions were not right, and slink back inside.

I imagine many recreational cyclists also 'back off' somewhat (don't want to risk damage knees or pulled muscles etc.) on reaching that grand old age of 40. I remember I felt a bit that way, and wondered what effect it would have? (Mainly sea sport then.) In fact, it made no difference at all that I, a recreational sportsman, could discern, until right up to my late 70's (a cancer removal and stress issue) and through into my 80's, where the fall off is now gradual, but definite.

A survey of old people was carried out a few years ago which claimed that many in their 80's reach a strange phase of happiness (barring illness or injury that is) probably because they feel they have beaten the odds, are still active, and life doesn't now owe them anything further. I'll certainly go along with that provided no busy-body attempts to force me off my bikes (especially my retro 3x10 geared Stump Jumper mountain bike) for my own good! I'm even looking forward to being 90. at which milestone I hope to buy an E bike, and still tackle all those hills! (Bring it on!)

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

One advantage of getting on a bit is that self preservation overrides some of our past daftness. i.e. An end to chasing personal downhill speed records. We all seem to get that bug (thank you Mr, Garmin, you're to blame) but it really is stupid if you stop to consider what would happen to the human body wearing only skimpy light cycling clothing (shorts and shirt) sliding down a steep chip and tar type rough road surface ( a giant rasp) at 50 m.p.h. All the flesh and more would be ripped off before the body came to a stop!

I found, when I was 'into it' that there was no shortage of steep hills (Dales and moors) but nearly all were too steep and narrow and twisty, with roughish surfaces, (no chance of heavy braking if a problem) down which any high speed would have been suicidal. The best chance was down less steep but longer and straighter main roads, with the assistance of a following high wind. I used the long straight drop down into Whitby from the Guisbro road approach to let fly, and clock 50.1 m.p.h. before getting a fright from a counter blast of wind on passing a building off the side of the road, that bodily hurled the bike sideways. (A brown trouser moment.) That was my last attempt!!

As an aside, I once used my mountain bike (bigger tyres and suspension, and safer handling) down Fleetmoss (I think it's called) near Hawes. It' long and straight with a rough chip type surface with some ruts. It is very steep at the top, easing to less steep as you drop down. I found that, despite the best gravity was able to do, the bike topped out at 44 m.p.h. and just held that, batting into the wind. There is nothing aero about mountain bikes!

Nowadays i just enjoy those long twisty steep downhill passes (Buttertubs on Hawes side the other day) at more sensible sub 30 m.p.h. speeds,as the bike swoops down and round on that glorious long freewheel. Just as much fun!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was mostly a spectators cyclist ( TdF follower mostly ) until I was 60 when I took it seriously as a rider. Now 71, I love riding my bike but as a fair weather cyclist, as I feel free on it and when I see other people my age or older with declining health, I am glad I can still go out and ride and hope it may continue.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don’t know why people think 40 is old, it’s just firmly into middle age. No longer a young adult, but not yet an elder. I can only think they’ve backed off cycling as they had kids in their late 20s / early 30s and priorities have changed till the kids leave home.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yeah, but those hairs start growing out of your nose, your eyebrows go weird and you make noises when you have to get something off the floor, plus you are exhausted from raising kids...

Well that’s not the case for all.

Its been longer than a 7years thing for me. I cycled as a kid but nothing serious. After uni though I finally got a clean bill of health and fell into the diving trap. Driving the 8 and a bit miles over the FRB to work. A journey that could take 15mins or an hour 😮 If I had my time again and was in the shape I am now I think I would opt for a near constant 30min cycle. I was in that trap for 3 or 4years but opted for a move to Dublin. At first I just to the train, then I moved really close to work and walked but eventually cycling became a way of transport circa 18 years ago and it has been ever since (although it has often been combined with other modes and it has took over my leisure life too).

Top Bottom