Can't help thinking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rain drops

I can't help wondering whether cycling follows the same '7 year itch' rule, as enthusiasm wanes, the longer a person stays the course? This clearly applies to many who follow other passions. For example windsurfing. I became addicted to it in 1982, along with very many others, yet now, 40 years later, all of those I once knew have long since given up, and left to follow some other passion. I'm the only local left with the same(ish) enthusiasm, which now, when alone, is harder to maintain.

Is cycling perhaps an exception? Does enthusiasm simply wax and wain, but always burst back out again, after any period of 'switch off'? I would say so in my own case. I remember (just a brief incident) having a three wheel trike at the age of four, and inevitably almost living on my roadster two wheeler in my early teens (as all of us did at the time) until reaching the magic motor cycle licencing age, then goodbye cycling! (A clip on 50cc Mini Motor for £19.)

The urge burst out again in my 30's, on and off for a few years, but fully kicked back in in my 60's, and has seemingly grow ever stronger since. (Rekindled teenage memories - scents and feelings all coming back out of the memory banks.) I can't help thinking that the love of pedal powered two wheel movement is an itch that defies all blandishments to grow up, and act your age!

P.S. No intention of joining a political echo chamber. Not interested. If receive abuse here will simply walk (ride preferably) away. No big deal.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've always had a bike/trike since I can remember and have not had any other vehicles since 1985/6 when I sold my last motorbike.:bicycle:

> Does enthusiasm simply wax and wain, but always burst back out again, after any period of 'switch off'?

I think like anything then yes it does. For some people they are always turned on for cycling and they live/breathe for anything they can pedal, whereas for most other people we do wax and wain as you say. I've definately got a workable range for cycling, sometimes I'll go through a period of organising several rides in a row and then others I'll go several weeks without anything.

I think as well we have different reasons for being interested in cycling and those reasons can drive our interest level e.g. someone only interested in Cyclocross could be more interested in season than out

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think cycling is different to other activities as it can become part of your everyday life, popping to the shops, going out for a bimble, that sort of thing. It then turns into something which defines you.
Indeed. Talking to friends and family, it almost always pivots to my like of cycling. It gets tedious at times. I have other interests but this is the one I’m forever associated with, and which becomes the mainstay of conversation.

With regards to the OP, I think cycling is so enduring because it’s one activity we can do well into middle and even old age.

boydj

Legendary Member
Cycling, particularly utility cycling is a lifestyle choice for many. It's cheap and healthy and we need more people to be doing it here in the UK - as they do in other parts of the world, like The Netherlands. Sport cycling will be subject to the usual waxing and waning of enthusiasm.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
For me cycling has come and gone three times in my life.

Partly due to other life commitments and interests and partly because I find cycling pretty boring tbh and it is, at best for me, a useful way of keeping fit.

@Rain drops
Recently I started pondering about the various interests that we choose to engage in, and why.

I use the word 'choose' lightly. I'm curious to understand what makes us decide.

For example I have been interested in messing with plants for over 50 years, and am not sure why.

As for cycling I chose it simply to keep fit & healthy. I don't particularly like it, and I often have to force myself out. I like how I feel after a ride. I also like the fact that it has kept me healthy. Been cycling regular for 20 years now. No plans to stop.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think cycling is different to other activities as it can become part of your everyday life, popping to the shops, going out for a bimble, that sort of thing. It then turns into something which defines you.

I find this interesting; I'm certainly known locally as the man on the bike.

My son and his friends in the Netherlands are no more defined by their utility cycling than they are by wearing denim jeans; it's the default.

If only we could move in that direction.

vickster

Legendary Member
I find this interesting; I'm certainly known locally as the man on the bike.

My son and his friends in the Netherlands are no more defined by their utility cycling than they are by wearing denim jeans; it's the default.

If only we could move in that direction.

I think my neighbours are just puzzled by why I seem to be on a different bike every time they see me :laugh:

I didn't cycle at all (or do anything very active) in my 20s :unsure:
Bought a bike again about 13 years ago in my mid 30s and have ridden fairly consistently since (other than time off for bad weather, injuries and a fair number of operations to knees, shoulder, elbow and some holidays)

Top Bottom