Cant open lockring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

And the other side of this discussion is that there's no need to do the lock ring up bastard tight when you refit it.

Edit: I see I got auto asterisked. What if I want to describe a big hand file? Or William the Conqueror?

OP
OP
bennydorano

bennydorano

Veteran
had that before, i just walked down to my LBS and asked them to do it, several seconds later and no charge, it was off :thumbsup:

Took it to Halfords this morning - they had if off in a minute with a big ass wrench. I was thinking I just couldn't get enough leverage on everything. Broke a Chainwhip into the bargain trying and also required a couple of lie-downs:cursing:. nevermind all this cycling some upper body work required:training:!

jay clock

Massive member
Dont do them up too little either. My tour of NZ required a stop 10 miles after starting as I had not done it up enough, and the cassette was shifting left and right and chain jumping all over. Luckily I had a tool with me and just had to borrow a big wrench

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Very hard to suggest anything without seeing or trying, but last time I did one, I used a long adjustable wrench, about 10" and instead of a chain whip, I put a screwdriver into the holes of the largest sprockets from the inside of the hub and just held it against the hub to stop the cassette from "free wheeling". Then with the skewers in to hold the lock ring tool in place loosly, just turned it anti-clockwise and it came undone.
But this sounds pretty much like what you are doing anyway, so I am stumped.

Good luck.
Keith
Wouldn't that approach risk damaging a spoke, if the cassette lockring took some force to undo?

Sharky

Guru
Wouldn't that approach risk damaging a spoke, if the cassette lockring took some force to undo?

In this case, the hub was from the back wheel that had completely collapsed. No spokes left! It was a mavic hub and it is shaped so that the screw driver had something to rest against. It all came undone without much force.
I would agree with you that you would not want to put too much force against the spokes.

Cheers keith

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
In this case, the hub was from the back wheel that had completely collapsed. No spokes left! It was a mavic hub and it is shaped so that the screw driver had something to rest against. It all came undone without much force.
I would agree with you that you would not want to put too much force against the spokes.

Cheers keith
Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:. Someone on these fora mentioned several weeks back about an alternative tool to the chain whip, but I forget what it was called. Apparently it's a bit like a spanner, and just fits around one of the smaller cogs?

Sharky

Guru
Took it to Halfords this morning - they had if off in a minute with a big ass wrench. I was thinking I just couldn't get enough leverage on everything. Broke a Chainwhip into the bargain trying and also required a couple of lie-downs:cursing:. nevermind all this cycling some upper body work required:training:!

Does this mean Halfords get awarded a Cycle Chat bonus point?

Is it their first point?

Keith

Top Bottom