Cant open lockring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennydorano

Veteran
I'm knackered by this stage, have lubed up everything, turning the correct direction, decent chainwhip, had the skewer through to tighten it up - textbook, but can't shift the bastid. Any tips please. Only other thing I can think of is a longer wrench for more leverage?

Would the whole thing jamming be common? They are Rodi Airline wheels that I've had for about a year, done big enough mileage in all sorts of weather

What are you using to loosen the lock ring? The tool I have has a half inch square drive so I can use a socket wrench or breaker bar, the latter should work

Tim Hall

I tend to put the chain whip and spanner at "ten to two", with the wheel upright. Working from above it, press down on the ends of both tools, IYSWIM.

Sharky

Guru
Very hard to suggest anything without seeing or trying, but last time I did one, I used a long adjustable wrench, about 10" and instead of a chain whip, I put a screwdriver into the holes of the largest sprockets from the inside of the hub and just held it against the hub to stop the cassette from "free wheeling". Then with the skewers in to hold the lock ring tool in place loosly, just turned it anti-clockwise and it came undone.
But this sounds pretty much like what you are doing anyway, so I am stumped.

Good luck.
Keith

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
I tend to put the chain whip and spanner at "ten to two", with the wheel upright. Working from above it, press down on the ends of both tools, IYSWIM.

correct - but it didn't work until i 'bounced' up and down

sounds daft but i think a steady pressure wasn't enough to 'crack' the serrated teeth on the inside face of the lockring

good luck

screenman

Legendary Member
Air gun like the use in workshops, works well for me. I never had a problem in all my years of doing them until the last one I did, bent chain whips 2 in fact, long levers you name it, until a bright spark suggested air gun. The bright spark was Barron Cycles, brilliant shop if you are any where near Lincoln. Proper cycling family owned.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm knackered by this stage, have lubed up everything, turning the correct direction, decent chainwhip, had the skewer through to tighten it up - textbook, but can't shift the bastid. Any tips please. Only other thing I can think of is a longer wrench for more leverage?

Would the whole thing jamming be common? They are Rodi Airline wheels that I've had for about a year, done big enough mileage in all sorts of weather
had that before, i just walked down to my LBS and asked them to do it, several seconds later and no charge, it was off :thumbsup:

Top Bottom