Can't Shift from Front 1st to 2nd Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ciclista

I got a brand new dual sport bike and I'm fairly new with bikes. The issue I'm having is this: I noticed that when I attempt to shift from first to second gear the chain or drive train doesn't move up - there's only rattling (I guess is the chain hitting the front derrailleur or cage?). So, what I do is I shift gears again to go into 3rd (the biggest chainring and the rattling goes away) and from there I shift down to 2nd, which works.

What is preventing the shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear?

alicat

Legendary Member
What is your set up? Eg Shimano Tiagra and the shifter no. That would help diagnose what is going on.

Sounds like the cable is a bit slack. If its a flat bar bike, there should be a cable tension barrel adjuster on the shifter. Make small adjustments, a quarter or half a turn at a time, and remember what you did. If its a new bike and its not set up properly I'd get the shop to do it - assuming it came from a shop, of course.

I’m guessing it’s a Trek Hybrid, with a triple Chainset. It sounds as if the cable in the front shifter has bedded in, and left itself a bit slack. Put the chain into the smallest ring at the front. Turn the adjuster on the cable anti clockwise as far as it will go. Undo the clamp bolt on the cable, at the front mech. Give the cable a little pull upwards. Hold it in that position, and re tighten the cable clamp bolt. See if it shifts up and down properly.

OP
OP
C

ciclista

I'll go ahead and try that, but for now this is what I got.

It's a DB Trace 3 (from REI), actually, and this is my setup:

Crankset
Shimano Acera M361, with chainguard, 48/38/28T
Bottom Bracket
Sealed cartridge
Shifters
Shimano SL-M360 Acera Rapidfire, 3x9 speed
Front Derailleur
Shimano Acera M3000, top swing, dual pull, 31.8 clamp diameter
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Alivio 9-speed
Rear Cogs
Shimano HG-200, 9-speed, 11-32T
Number of Gears
27 gear(s)
Brake Type
Mechanical Disc Brake
Brakes
Avid BB5 with 160mm rotors
Brake Levers
Avid FR5 alloy, with reach adjust

alicat

Legendary Member
Either take it back where you bought and ask them for help or turn the bike upside down and look what is impeding the back wheel. If poss show us a video clip.

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

ciclista

It appears to be the brake disk. How do you keep that from happening? What do I move or what is it possible to adjust?

Levo-Lon

Guru

Top Bottom