Can't take pedal off using a wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I look at those videos and it all looks complicated +I don't trust myself to get it done to a good enough standard. I would rather someone who knows what they are doing do it instead.
Bikes are problematic in that all of the mechanicals are exposed to the elements whereas cars have most of their sensitive bits under cover.

It therefore follows that a bike will need a fair bit more maintenance than a car.

On the plus side, you can kit yourself out with every tool needed for your bike for just a few quid.

Get yourself a decent set of tools (£30 max) and follow the YouTube instructions and you will be a guru when it comes to your bike within a month.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thank you very much for all your help everyone here is an update:

I went down to my local bike shop they had taken off the old pedal, attached the new pedals and attached the cleats my shoes all free of charge ^_^
No need to buy any tools for now.

That's good news and it sounds like you ought to keep using said bike shop no matter what , you could even ask them to let you watch on some future repairs so you learn a bit about bikes .

I don't mean that in a sarcastic way

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Decided I’ll just buy new cranks, nothing is budging . Lesson learned in not tightening up too much next time :laugh:

If you are going to have to buy new cranks - and obviously new pedals as well - you have nothing to lose by trying first to remove the pedal from the spindle. Even if you destroy the pedal in the process, you would then be able to remove the crank, put the spindle flats in a vice and use a suitable extension to unscrew the crank from the spindle.

classic33

Leg End Member
Decided I’ll just buy new cranks, nothing is budging . Lesson learned in not tightening up too much next time :laugh:
Double bag the offending crank & pedal and place in the freezer for a day or two. Then try separating the two.

Ajax Bay

Guru
crank & pedal and place in the freezer
Since the the linear thermal expansion coefficient of aluminium is greater than that of steel, reducing the temperature of both will 'shrink' the aluminium crank onto the steel pedal axle, making it harder to 'separate'.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/pedal-stuck-fast-on.258979/page-3#post-5933907
@Yellow Saddle (edited)
"The reason a pedal is stuck so fast is because of friction welding. That means the threads on the steel pedal are fused to the threads on the aluminium crank. It is caused by fretting, which in turn is caused by the movable joint. <<snip>> From the fretting, the threads weld. However they only weld on the pulling side of the thread's "V": the other side essentially doesn't even touch. When the crank is heated, the expansion does two things. It enlarges the hole and it thickens the crank (i.e. lengthens the hole). This breaks the weld."

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
This bad boy arrived today, should remove even the most stubborn stuck pedals.

I like the wider rounder handle w/ rubber? coating. my ancient antique is so skinny, when I have a tough pedal, I have to wear thick gloves. but shouldn't happen again until I aquire another bike. one nice thing about having a pedal wrench is, one can go thru all one's bikes, one at a time & remove, lube & reinstall, them all!

Top Bottom