Can't take pedal off using a wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes the local bike shop did it for me
Hurrah ! Nice work LBS.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Crank pointing forward (2:30 o'clock), robust spanner (at least 9" long) securely on pedal axle flats, facing backwards (9 o'clock), solid support under frame (directly under BB shell), welly end of spanner with coal hammer (care). Shock action.
Bar extension allows torque multiplication, but not as much as the instantaneous Nm of a 5lbs coal hammer at speed. The extension bends if you hit the end of it reducing the shock effect and torque 'spike' that's needed.
I’m not for giving up and will try again but....... I think these are seriously welded on. Shall look for a longer spanner !

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

You can pretty much get away with a pocket knife multi tool and a dumb bell spanner for most things bike.

Chuck in a crank remover, BB tool, Freewheel tool, pump and a puncture kit and you are pretty well set.

The more you work on your bike, the more things you will buy to maybe make the job that little bit easier (although doable, it's not very easy to adjust the slave disc on a rear disc brake bike with a multi tool hex key).
I never work on my bike as I don't have the technical knowledge required to do so.

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes the local bike shop did it for me

Really pleased to hear that. Could you say which shop it was - it's nice to be able to give the credit to a good shop...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Personally I'd get neither. I'd get a multi tool because within 5 minutes of purchase of a loose set I'd have lost half of them. But that's me.

I'd get a "loose" set, but to counter Dogt's point, get a set with a clip to keep them together. A fold up set is a handy adjunct but not as easy to use. A screwdriver handled set is also useful. I very much like my facom t-bar set, but it was a buttock-clenching £80 so not for someone on a budget

Good makes included eklind, facom, allen themselves of course, bahco and others.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The thing is that a multi tool is pretty much a "must have" for being able to deal with minor issues when out and about on the bike. So I'd recommend one of those as a first buy.

I'd say a loose set is something for a bike maintenance hobbyist, rather than for a cyclist.

I admit I do have a fancy set of loose keys (with a few missing) but I rarely use it. I generally use one of the many cheapo multi tools I have knocking around.

I too use a multi tool for my on-the-road toolkit, but it's just a bit awkward in comparison for jobs at home. They're cheap enough, even from good makes that having both isn't a huge extravagence

Lovacott

Über Member
The thing is that a multi tool is pretty much a "must have" for being able to deal with minor issues when out and about on the bike. So I'd recommend one of those as a first buy.

I've had the same one since 1994 and it's got me home more times than I can remember. Best fiver I ever spent.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

You don't need technical knowledge to fix 99% of bike issues.

You just need a few tools and access to YouTube.
I look at those videos and it all looks complicated +I don't trust myself to get it done to a good enough standard. I would rather someone who knows what they are doing do it instead.

Top Bottom