Can't take pedal off using a wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Possibly neither.

Long levers are useful for some jobs, but may give you too much leverage when tightening up and could strip threads. Just get a basic set from Halfords/asda/etc and just carry the ones you need for your own bike.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thank you very much for all your help everyone here is an update:

I went down to my local bike shop they had taken off the old pedal, attached the new pedals and attached the cleats my shoes all free of charge ^_^
No need to buy any tools for now.
Excellent. Good to see you received the standard of service I would expect from a quality LBS. Please reward them by supporting the shop whenever you can.

You will find the benefits far outweigh the few ££££ more you will spend on bits and pieces. I'll qualify this by saying as a pensioner on a fixed income getting the best value is something I understand and is important to me, just as I know it is to young people and students.

Best value though is not always the cheapest option in terms of either money or time.

Enjoy.

vickster

Legendary Member
For the sake of a fiver (or less if you have to pay Wiggle postage) I'd get the Pearson's ones as you'll be supporting a real LBS (that's been in business since 1860, longer than any other in the UK), rather than a warehouse with no customer service people to speak to who are undercutting LBSs and putting them out of business...
but that's just me :whistle:

Lovacott

Über Member
Lidl had a full set of hex keys for £2.50 a couple of weeks back.

1610747823217.png

Bigsteve4

I got one of the pedals off no problem while the other one won't budge.
Check your going the right way. I used a 15mm spanner and a hammer. Hold spanner on the crank with a cloth over it with one hand and tap the other with hammer .i had to smack it quite hard . Some previous owner had really over tightened them they should be just pinched up. Ifitted carbon shamarno made a good weight saving.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Anonymous1502 with regard to allen/hex keys
Go round your bike and note down (on paper :rolleyes: even) what keys you need. The most common is a 5 mm but there will be others: bottle cage screws, cleat bolts, computer mount fastening. A small multi-tool is easiest for carrying in your under-seat bag but if you only need two allen keys and a small screwdriver maybe that's easier (and what I do btw).
But for tweaking at home (for example removing, cleaning and refitting your seat post (have you done that yet?)) 'normal' tools, colour coded or not, are far easier to use. Ignore the 'torque' option - your bike is not carbon and so that just adds complexity and cost. And avoid the allen keys with 'ball ends': their use increases the risk of damage to the socket.

Lovacott

Über Member
@Anonymous1502 with regard to allen/hex keys
Go round your bike and note down (on paper :rolleyes: even) what keys you need. The most common is a 5 mm but there will be others: bottle cage screws, cleat bolts, computer mount fastening. A small multi-tool is easiest for carrying in your under-seat bag but if you only need two allen keys and a small screwdriver maybe that's easier (and what I do btw).
But for tweaking at home (for example removing, cleaning and refitting your seat post (have you done that yet?)) 'normal' tools, colour coded or not, are far easier to use. Ignore the 'torque' option - your bike is not carbon and so that just adds complexity and cost. And avoid the allen keys with 'ball ends': their use increases the risk of damage to the socket.
You can pretty much get away with a pocket knife multi tool and a dumb bell spanner for most things bike.

Chuck in a crank remover, BB tool, Freewheel tool, pump and a puncture kit and you are pretty well set.

The more you work on your bike, the more things you will buy to maybe make the job that little bit easier (although doable, it's not very easy to adjust the slave disc on a rear disc brake bike with a multi tool hex key).

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Big massive bar extension was on to the 15mm spanner still hasn’t budged mine . New cranks will be ordered when I can be assd!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Big massive bar extension was on to the 15mm spanner still hasn’t budged mine .
Crank pointing forward (2:30 o'clock), robust spanner (at least 9" long) securely on pedal axle flats, facing backwards (9 o'clock), solid support under frame (directly under BB shell), welly end of spanner with coal hammer (care). Shock action.
Bar extension allows torque multiplication, but not as much as the instantaneous Nm of a 5lbs coal hammer at speed. The extension bends if you hit the end of it reducing the shock effect and torque 'spike' that's needed.

Top Bottom