Can't take pedal off using a wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
What is your motive for removing your pedals? Most pedals are never, ever removed, and stay with bikes till 'the end' because they are more robust than the bike.
A pedal spanner is low on the list of tools needed.

I'm on my third set in nine months. The originals (resin MTB flats), gave up during lockdown 1 so I had to pop into Halfords and buy what they had in stock. They gave up about a month ago (split spindle casing on the left pedal).

I've now bought a decent set online.

It's the easiest job in the world changing them out as long as you understand the concept of opposite threads. I pop them on with a bit of grease on the threads and do them up hand tight plus a tiny pinch with a cone spanner.

Lovacott

Über Member
I find the attitude of those who seem to take pride in being mechanically inept very strange, TBH. You may consider tool money "wasted", but think about this:-

Understanding how to fix something gives you an understanding of how things work and by extension, improves your ability at using that thing.

Also, understanding how to fix things allows you to spot problems before they get out of hand (a stitch in time.....).

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
"Most pedals never need removing"...
For some, yes. Unless you've got young kids. Or riders in the house who have spills. Or newer bikes which you are just getting around to putting better pedals on.
I estimate that other than a hex key, my pedal spanner has been the most used tool in the last year or two, so it's not true for everyone.

rivers

How far can I go?
What is your motive for removing your pedals? Most pedals are never, ever removed, and stay with bikes till 'the end' because they are more robust than the bike.

I swap my power meter pedals between my summer road bike and my TT bike on a fairly regular basis when the nice weather hits.

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yer jokin' aren't ya?

I swap pedals around a lot, spd'd to flats if swapping bikes or don't to be wearing cleats etc. or spds to keo's as I have posh summer shoes and more robust spd winter shoes.

Plus a lot bikes don't come with pedals anyway or come with flimsy cheap as chips plastic things or if you buy a used bike it often has the wrong pedals on it.

multi tool or set of allen keys, tyre levers, pedal spanner, decent track pump, are all pretty much essentials

Ajax Bay

Guru
I thought I might flush a few of the usual suspects out with that entirely reasonable assertion. Thank you all for stepping up to the plate :hungry:
Skippy: "I disagree completely. I've removed a number of pedals."
You're a massive outlier (cycling population, not of those who comment in this sub-forum)
Lover: "I'm on my third set in nine months.
"Understanding how to fix something gives you an understanding of how things work"
See above; and agree. Not sure un/screwing pedals is a significant example, mind, though the left hand / right hand thread complication perhaps qualifies it.
Canucks: "Unless you've got young kids. Or riders in the house who have spills. Or newer bikes which you are just getting around to putting better pedals on."
See first comment.
Canucks: "I estimate that other than a hex key, my pedal spanner has been the most used tool in the last year or two, so it's not true for everyone."
Again see first comment. Maybe 'true' for you. I didn't suggest it was "true for ever"y set of pedals, "Most pedals are never, ever removed"
She’s changing to clipless
My bad. Lack of research. Hope securing the cleats to her shoes is less of a trial. Tip (for the cleat screws, not the pedals): a dab of threadlock @Anonymous1502 . You will be amazed how quickly you get used to them.
rivers: "I swap my power meter pedals between my summer road bike and my TT bike on a fairly regular basis"
See first comment.
T4tomo: "I swap pedals around a lot, spd'd to flats"
See first comment.
And a picture to finish off with - so much nicer with pictures.
1610711430000.png

Preparations for soft bagging to get onto a OuiGo TGV (Euro 25: Paris to Marseilles). Those pedals were on and off about 8 times that week.

Sharky

Guru
I've never been without a pedal spanner. Inherited my dad's one which was probably pre ww2 and then bought one to replace it when it broke.

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but pedals used to be much wider and left little room between the pedal and the cranks. A pedal spanner, being much thinner than a normal wrench was essential. Modern clip less pedals seem to give much more space to use a normal wrench or adjustable, so perhaps not quite so vital.

Ajax Bay

Guru
much thinner than a normal wrench was essential. Modern clip less pedals seem to give much more space to use a normal wrench or adjustable, so perhaps not quite so vital.
I have one of those spanners with adjustable width
For clipless pedals (eg Shimano) the width of the available flat (along the pedal axis) is ~6mm. A decent size adjustable spanner which will allow enough torque to be applied (so say 10" length, with extension tube if necessary and coal hammer likewise for recalcitrant pedals) has a jaw width of about 10mm (so will not 'fit in' between the crank and the knurled ring - suspect this is part of the OP's problem). A pedal spanner width is 3-4mm so fits nicely and securely. Some pedal axles have a hex key slot in their end (inward facing) but the interface is not as good as the flats/spanner preferred option. Fine for well-greased on/off (eg @rivers pedals) but not for ones which one's trying to remove for the first time.
Pedant sidenote (for the OP): This is a UK-based forum and over here we use spanners, not wrenches (see thread title).
Edit: Note that spanner is comes from German (tight(en)) whereas wrench comes the Old English meaning twist

Last edited:

Johnsco

Old Fettler
I would never have believed that this thread would run to over 108 posts.
So many interesting and differing opinions !!
I've had the same bike since the 1960s and have never removed a pedal.
I recently replaced all the bearings in both pedals, as there was serious play in the pedals.
This was not surprising when I found bearings missings and some bearings that were the wrong size.
How on earth ??????
I was able to do all necessary work without removing the pedals ... Problem solved.
I don't expect to have to do it again in a long time.

I have refitted a pedal to this bike.
My mate (who was a serial lunatic and head-banger) borrowed the bike some 30 years ago and trashed it.
When I got it back, one of the pedals had been refitted by hitting it with a hammer until the end couple of threads were damaged enough so that the pedal didn't actually fall off.
I managed to recover the situation and carefully restore the threads and refit the pedal by screwing it in the "correct" way.
The same person was probably the reason that bearings were missing or the incorrect size.
The bike was so-seriously trashed that it sat in the garage for 30 years, and I've only recently restored it and got it back on the road.

Regarding my friendly LBS .... Well - It would be nice if I had such a relationship.
Round here, my nearest LBS appears more interested in selling several-thousand-pound bikes than wasting time on an old fettler like me.
I always sense a degree of impatience and dismissiveness, so I now tend to go in less.
It's obvious I'm never going to buy a new bike.
It's obvious that I do all my own work.
So .... ebay and this great forum are my friends and technical support.
...... and Yes ..... I do have a pedal spanner.

Top Bottom