Can't take pedal off using a wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Anything I buy for cycling I need to know I will use it often, since my technical bike knowledge is nonexistent I don't think I will get much use out of bike tools, so I am hesitant to purchase many.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anything I buy for cycling I need to know I will use it often, since my technical bike knowledge is nonexistent I don't think I will get much use out of bike tools, so I am hesitant to purchase many.

Bikes aren't complicated, and if you plan on cycling the rest of your life, it's best having them. Just get them when you need them.

A set of hex keys is essential as most bolts need checking occasionally, and I never trust an 'off the peg' bike, or other mechanics. I've only ever tusted one person to build me a bike, and that was for CTW from a local shop and I knew the owner.

Things work loose, and it can be expensive if you don't know how, and potentially very costly if you ignore noises.

C'mon now, £3.99 from Wiggle!

It was recommended you buy one when you first asked about Shoes/cleats/pedals early on, I assume you bought on-line as all the shops are closed?

Should have ordered one then really, people answer all your questions thoughtfully and with good intent, I have to say you're very lucky this forum is full of the type of people it is.:whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Bikes aren't complicated, and if you plan on cycling the rest of your life, it's best having them. Just get them when you need them.

A set of hex keys is essential as most bolts need checking occasionally, and I never trust an 'off the peg' bike, or other mechanics. I've only ever tusted one person to build me a bike, and that was for CTW from a local shop and I knew the owner.

Things work loose, and it can be expensive if you don't know how, and potentially very costly if you ignore noises.
That cost isn't always measured in money either.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

C'mon now, £3.99 from Wiggle!

It was recommended you buy one when you first asked about Shoes/cleats/pedals early on, I assume you bought on-line as all the shops are closed?

Should have ordered one then really, people answer all your questions thoughtfully and with good intent, I have to say you're very lucky this forum is full of the type of people it is.:whistle:
What is £3.99? There has been so many tools recommended I don't know which age the essential ones. I'm getting confused.

What is £3.99? There has been so many tools recommended I don't know which age the essential ones. I'm getting confused.
What this entire thread of 6 pages is about, a spanner to remove your pedals.

@Anonymous1502 I’ve had the same problem once before. Are the pedals the OEM ones from the shop? They could have been over torqued and screwed in stupidly tight instead of just nipped up by a worker using an impact air wrench.

I would try some release oil first to dissolve any crud and surface rust and then try and expand the metal with a hot item such as boiling water or even better a blow tourch or similar and then give it a go? As the crank is likely to be alloy and the pedal steel the two will expand at different rates and the bond “cracked” by the heat.

Failing that it is defo a bike shop job or someone with a vice and the space who can grip the pedal axle in the vice and use the bike as leverage.

CXRAndy

Guru
Pedals never need to be tightened more than a slip nip. They self tighten whilst riding. Use lots of copper grease to prevent rust starting in the threads.

Extending the leverage will be your best option to breaking free a tight pedal

Ajax Bay

Guru
What is your motive for removing your pedals? Most pedals are never, ever removed, and stay with bikes till 'the end' because they are more robust than the bike.
A pedal spanner is low on the list of tools needed.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think you are exactly right here. Some people have a real interest in and ability to carry out any conceivable maintenance issue. This is great as everything I've read indicates it gives them real satisfaction.

Me? I have no interest in performing cycle maintenance along with zero ability. I have everything done by my LBS. Any investment I made in tools would be wasted. @Dogtrousers gives good advice on the very basics you need.

If you establish a good relationship with an LBS many small jobs like this will be done for free or minimal charge. This is why for some cyclists, me for example, it is so very important to always purchase from the LBS rather than the apparently cheaper option of online purchases. Literally anything I need doing my LBS will fix in minutes when it could take me hours. This is because they know I will always buy from them first and never online. Yes many things appear cheaper but it's impossible to purchase service.

As it happens I need to remove a pedal to fit a speed sensor. I was at my LBS yesterday and mentioned this. They've lent me the tools and if I fail to get the pedal off I can walk in anytime with the bike and it will be done free while I wait.

A good relationship with an LBS does not have a price. I can always wander in explain a problem, hand the bike over to a mechanic and leave twenty minutes later after coffee and a chat and the bike fixed. It's probably difficult for a younger person who may not be settled in an area to achieve this but keep it in mind for the future. I know I pay more for most things by purchasing from my LBS but those few £££s are repaid many times over through the help and advice I receive for free whenever I need it. Can't be beaten.

The money you save on tools can be invested in quality clothing etc. which you will use daily.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Most pedals are never, ever removed, and stay with bikes till 'the end' because they are more robust than the bike.
A pedal spanner is low on the list of tools needed.

I disagree completely. I've removed a number of pedals. I've acquired used bikes with one busted pedal or a mismatched pair. I've had a pedal bearing fail and the pedal all go wobbly. Sometimes I might swap a crankset for some reason. So there's been occasions where I've needed to remove one or both pedals, to replace a faulty one, or to swap out an odd pair for a matching pair on one of my better bikes. It's not a job I do every week, but it's not once in a blue moon either.

I have no interest in performing cycle maintenance and have everything done by my LBS. Any investment I made in tools would be wasted.
If you establish a good relationship with an LBS many small jobs like this will be done for free or minimal charge. This is why for some cyclists, me for example, it is so very important to always purchase from the LBS rather than the apparently cheaper option of online purchases. Literally anything I need doing my LBS will fix in minutes when it could take me hours. This is because they know I will always buy from them first and never online. Yes many things appear cheaper but it's impossible to purchase service.

The money you save on tools can be invested in quality clothing etc. which you will use daily.

I find the attitude of those who seem to take pride in being mechanically inept very strange, TBH. You may consider tool money "wasted", but think about this:-
If I have a mechanical issue I can almost always deal with it at home, at a time of my choosing, on any day of the week. and the time doesn't cost me a penny.
On the other hand, you have to make a special journey to the LBS every time you want something done, and either pay for the work or pay higher prices for your parts & cosumables in order to get quick jobs done "free". Most of the time, I will probably have a problem fixed in less time than it takes you to get to the LBS, and I'm not constrained by the opening hours of the shop or how busy the mechanic is.
The tools vs clothing is an odd argument. I can ride a bike in any sort of clothing, and you can have all the fancy cycling garb in the world, but if your bike doesn't work and you haven't got the means to fix it you aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I disagree completely. I've removed a number of pedals. I've acquired used bikes with one busted pedal or a mismatched pair. I've had a pedal bearing fail and the pedal all go wobbly. Sometimes I might swap a crankset for some reason. So there's been occasions where I've needed to remove one or both pedals, to replace a faulty one, or to swap out an odd pair for a matching pair on one of my better bikes. It's not a job I do every week, but it's not once in a blue moon either.

I find the attitude of those who seem to take pride in being mechanically inept very strange, TBH. You may consider tool money "wasted", but think about this:-
If I have a mechanical issue I can almost always deal with it at home, at a time of my choosing, on any day of the week. and the time doesn't cost me a penny.
On the other hand, you have to make a special journey to the LBS every time you want something done, and either pay for the work or pay higher prices for your parts & cosumables in order to get quick jobs done "free". Most of the time, I will probably have a problem fixed in less time than it takes you to get to the LBS, and I'm not constrained by the opening hours of the shop or how busy the mechanic is.
The tools vs clothing is an odd argument. I can ride a bike in any sort of clothing, and you can have all the fancy cycling garb in the world, but if your bike doesn't work and you haven't got the means to fix it you aren't going anywhere.
Perhaps I could refer you back to my opening paragraph in which I acknowledge for some there is great pride and pleasure in performing all their own maintenance. This is great it's part of their joy in cycling.

I acknowledge I'm mechanically inept and have no interest in learning. I don't take pride in it, simply acknowledge the fact. It does nothing for me. I probably though do have talents and interests which others don't posess. I understand this perfectly.

I said money spent on tools for ME is wasted. This will not apply to everyone as I've effectively acknowledged twice.

Yes, I pay more for items. I stated this and understand why. It's important to me to have a strong relationship with my LBS for reasons I've explained. It's what I want, it supports local business which is a priority for me, and ensures all my bikes run perfectly all the time. I'm happy to pay for this.

I can understand why you feel your time is better employed than it would be if you used an LBS. My ability is such I would waste hours attempting to fix a minor problem which I'd possibly have to later take to the LBS. For many items I don't have to wait for a time when a mechanic is free - I walk in, explain the problem and leave in 20 minutes after coffee and a chat. All very pleasurable and part of my cycling enjoyment. For longer jobs the LBS is 6-700 metres from a supermarket so I can do my weekly shop while waiting or combine the trips.

As for the tools v clothing view. It's clear from many of your posts you have one view of cycling and its pleasures. I have another. There is though a greater difference. I understand and accept this and don't find it necessary to dismiss those who find a use for and enjoy using what you describe as "fancy garb."

I started cycling at, I think, age 10 with my granddad. 56 years later I have never failed to start or complete a ride for any reason, mechanical or otherwise. My lack of technical ability therefore has no impact whatsoever on my pleasure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom