Can't take pedal off using a wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Another vote for Parktool, and for greasing pedal threads religiously. Also that checking pedals haven't bound on a regular basis is very sensible.

I've had a couple of cheaper pedal spanners, and regretted both.

Replacing a crankset after removing the threads from a bound pedal is much more expensive than any tool.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Couple of years back I ran into this problem. I actually went to the trouble of purchasing a long-armed hex key with a handle - a tool designed specifically for the job. Still couldn't shift it. Now, I'm a large chap capable of providing ample brute force and ignorance but I couldn't shift it. Even standing on the thing it wouldn't budge.

I took it to the bike shop. A little weasly bloke in there took them off within 30 seconds using secret skillz.

(Yes, I was trying to turn them the right way)

You must have loosened them. It’s like jam jar lids

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Technique is fairly crucial. My suggestion is to make sure the crank with the stuck pedal is pointing towards the front of the bike in the 3 o'clock position and then have the spanner at 10 o'clock, then apply the brakes and stand (don't jump) on the spanner. I have never failed to remove one this way, even on some seriously dry joints that are corroded on.
Another technique to try is to get the spanner quite close to the crank arms (the correct side of it) and use both hands to squeeze them together. thats good if you have big hands and a strong grip.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Another technique to try is to get the spanner quite close to the crank arms (the correct side of it) and use both hands to squeeze them together. thats good if you have big hands and a strong grip.

That's my normal method. I'm big enough to be able to do this and It works so long as they aren't mega tight. If they are really stuck, I will remove the cranks from the bike and clamp them in a bench vice.

vickster

Legendary Member
The OP is a petite lady (size 5 feet for example)

si_c

Guru
My suggestion would be as @vickster suggested - on this occaision get a LBS to remove and fit the pedals for you, shouldn't be much of an expense - certainly less than buying a decent pedal spanner.

For the future, investing in simple tools is definitely worth it as they end up saving you money in the long term. A decent starter kit will give you the basics and you can add to it from there.

vickster

Legendary Member
how the fark did you work that out from "Anonymous1502"??
What size are my feet @vickster
and do I have a big arse?

On the subject of buying tools, my mates always encourage me to buy the correct tool for the job, so I can then do similar tasks on their bikes....:laugh::laugh:
Maybe she posted it on other threads as said :okay:

Not a clue what size feet you have...
as one of a small cohort of female posters, I do pay more attention to what other female posters post when asking for advice about clothing etc.
Less interest in what men are looking for as there are more than enough men on here to respond

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Bigger leverage - might be difficult if you haven't got a shed/garage full of handy crap ! The end of the my garden hoe fits nicely over my adjustable spanner to create a 1.5m long one !
I would go so far as to say that a collection of tool-sized tubing of various diameters and lengths is a workshop essential. Archimedes lives!

I was very happy to accidentally find an old French wrench on Craigslist several years ago. one of the most useful, bike specific tools, I own!

December 30, 2016: got curious & checked CL for tools found a decent vintage (70s) Zeus pedal wrench, 15mm at one end & 14mm (aka 9/16) at the other end. nice & skinny & long for leverage. bought it from someone who used to have a bike shop. met her in the parking lot of the local library that morning

pedal wrench small v2.jpg

helpful to press against the pedal & crank arm on the other side. the video I followed puts the pedal you're working on facing forward & you have the wrench at the back going down. this works on both sides. you don't have to remember which one is clockwise or counterclockwise

View: https://youtu.be/jD0vhR7SgZU

Last edited:
Top Bottom