Can't take pedal off using a wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
a cheap way to increase your leverage is to slip a length of metal tube on the handle of your spanner

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Poor a kettle full of boiled water over it. If possible use a 15 min spanner not an adjustable. Then if your lucky try and position it about 10-40 degrees from the crank arm and grip the arm and spanner with both hands and squeeze. This won’t increase leverage but will increase control and force.

Might be worth the OP diverting some funds for the £300 jacket to some basic tools and a piece of pipe !
exactly.
I can recommend this though it has gone up since I got mine.
https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/cycl...rBC4d1VdpRGFfvLPwPm5hpE-CYENJwcgaAhSqEALw_wcB
Note that it has an angled end.
Never failed to budge anything of mine, and I wouldn't have pedals given that didn't have flats.
Matching Rapha workshop apron is optional.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
D

Deleted member 26715

I just literally made my own. I bought a range of bearing presses off amazon for less than 20 (lots of bearings on my FS bike) and a threaded rod and nuts from B&Q. Pressed my headset race back into a newly painted frame, no problems.
I understand buying good quality tools once rather than poor quality tools multiple times, but that does seem excessive

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

OP is a student, and doesn't need another £5 plus expenditure.

Get a big male Uni friend to do it in the hall socially distanced.... instruct said person the right way to do it though..
I have moved back home I don't have anyone for the job I think.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There's tools you can improvise and other tools that you cant. I've never needed anything more than a 2 lb hammer and a block of wood to insert bearing races like headsets. Unless you are a clumsy oaf they are a five minute job. Jobs that involve very tight or seized fasteners need brute force, and you can't successfully apply brute force unless your tool fits properly and won't slip off and chew up the thing you are trying to remove. Pedal spanners are worth buying, headset presses are not.

Top Bottom