Can't take pedal off using a wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Put gears to lowest ratio
Put crank at 2:00 forward up.
Put spanner on at 10:00 rearwards up.
Apply brakes
Tread on spanner and gently transfer weight. Dont stomp.
i'd use the highest ratio.

Just to check again (sorry) both pedals unscrew in the same direction ie anti-clock if you are on the drive side of the bike:okay:

Even after probably 40yrs of messing with bikes this one still confuses me but it doesn't take much:laugh:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Common issue. Give it a spray with WD40 and try again in the morning. Otherwise you might need a longer pedal spanner, something for more leverage, or more brute force Involving a hammer!

If that doesn't work, buy some penetrating oil - PlusGas, for example.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Adjustable spanners are the work of belzebub, and are perfectly designed to round the flats off any bolt, get a 15 mm spanner that’s right for the job, then follow the advice above, particularly with grease on the new pedal threads.
They can be useful when you have a number of lightly loaded bolts/nuts to undo/hold. But, for the heavier loaded bolts/nuts, buy the best correct sized spanners you can.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My neighbour couldn't get their pedals off during lockdown. He'd got new ones (they both were local bike commuters - just a few miles, but the car never left the drive).

I gave him one of my Campag pedal spanners. This will do it I said. He dopped it off a day later.... yes, it wasn't an issue with that. Didn't dare say the blooming spanner was most likely more expensive than his pedals.

Shreds

Get sone RP90 spray designed to penetrate and make disengaging such things easy. Just dont get it on your fingers and be careful what you spray it on or you wont be able to pick things up or hold anything!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get sone RP90 spray designed to penetrate and make disengaging such things easy. Just dont get it on your fingers and be careful what you spray it on or you wont be able to pick things up or hold anything!

OP is a student, and doesn't need another £5 plus expenditure.

Get a big male Uni friend to do it in the hall socially distanced.... instruct said person the right way to do it though..

Top Bottom