Can't take pedal off using a wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Surely you have two pedals, the one you removed and the one still fitted, so why not ride it?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There's tools you can improvise and other tools that you cant. I've never needed anything more than a 2 lb hammer and a block of wood to insert bearing races like headsets. Unless you are a clumsy oaf they are a five minute job. Jobs that involve very tight or seized fasteners need brute force, and you can't successfully apply brute force unless your tool fits properly and won't slip off and chew up the thing you are trying to remove. Pedal spanners are worth buying, headset presses are not.

Done the same - fitted a new headset to my very expensive best bike using two blocks of wood and a hammer. But I decided to buy this below, plus a couple of long 'bolts' and a threadded bar. I also purchased a bling bearing puller. Main reason is my full suspension has a stack of bearings, and it's just one of those 'additions' to the tool box. I have loads of tools for the bike that I've collected. I removed the bearings last time with a vice and some 'sockets'. Always worth slowly building up the tool box, so in OP's case

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/17PC-BUSHING-BEARING-DRIVER-CASE/dp/B0045S1DC2/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bearing+press&qid=1610620049&sr=8-8

Always worth slowly building up the tool box, so in OP's case maybe spending £10 on a 15mm pedal spanner is a good idea. Some reasonable ones on Amazon for example - delivered today or tomorrow ! My SPD's are hex key only, so I fit the 12" adjustable spanner to the end of it to get leverage.

vickster

Legendary Member
Might be cheaper to order a pedal spanner OP, the bike shop will charge you about the same.
My LBS has never charged me for a pedal change...but then they get a fair amount of business from me (going back to flats has meant a lot of pedal changes :o))

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
One flat and one clipless. Like wearing two odd shoes, e.g. walking boot on one foot, slipper on the other. :whistle:

I put an odd pair of footwear on once and didn't realise until I was at work. No-one noticed, because if they had they would have taken the piss all day.

Big John

Guru
I appreciate that we all have a budget when it comes to bikes, even the more affluent amongst us, but if anyone IS thinking of getting a pedal spanner (and you can spare a few bob) then you won't go far wrong with a Park Tools one. I work for a bike charity now I've retired and we have one in the workshop. We've all systematically beaten the living daylights out of it and it's never failed us yet. It has the scars to prove it but it has taken some serious welly. For particularly troublesome pedals we have a length of heavy duty pipe for a bit of extra leverage. If there was ever a tool for life then this is it. I'd go as far as to say it's unbreakable. We've tried! 😉
P.S. We usually find the seriously stuck pedals are the ones that have been cross threaded. It's surprising how many folks aren't aware that one is right and the other left hand thread.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Might be cheaper to order a pedal spanner OP, the bike shop will charge you about the same.

I agree, the Bikehut pedal spanner at H*lf*ds is 8.99, I bought one a couple of years ago when I needed to put two metal pedals on my daughter's first bike after she'd destroyed the original plastic pedals. Since then it has been used maybe 4 more times... you can't moan at 9 quid, and I'm sure even with potential LBS freebies included I'd have been charged at some point.

There are some tools that are dear and you might only use once, I'm not generally one to buy those. I'd rather give the shop some work. On the other hand there are some tools (like pedal spanners) that are cheap and worth having at home.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...ols/bikehut-premium-pedal-spanner-164222.html

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
As regards budgets, it's a question of priorities. Despite my notoriously "frugal" approach to cycling (and many other things) I will still buy particular tools if they are really necessary to be able to do something without making a total balls up of it.
Lots of people don't bat an eyelid at spending a couple of hundred quid on a pair of cycling shoes or a jacket, yet they seem to regard having the capability of doing even the most basic repairs and maintenance as too much of an investment. Sort your toolkit out first and ride round looking like a tramp if you have to. Tools really are important, clothing is very much a secondary consideration.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've never begrudged the cost of tools.
Use them once and they've usually paid for themselves.
Did you follow the link upthread, £160 for a couple of washers & a screwed rod?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Technique is fairly crucial. My suggestion is to make sure the crank with the stuck pedal is pointing towards the front of the bike in the 3 o'clock position and then have the spanner at 10 o'clock, then apply the brakes and stand (don't jump) on the spanner. I have never failed to remove one this way, even on some seriously dry joints that are corroded on.

Top Bottom