Can't thread new cable into left Shimano STI shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had the same problem the previous time I changed the cables. This time, I've tried dozens of times, but the damned thing won't thread in. I had no such problem with the right shifter cable. Are they built differently?

Broadside

Guru
How far does it go in? Is it getting stuck as it goes through the shifter and as it's trying to enter the outer cable? If so then you might have to unwrap the bar tape to sort it.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've removed the outer cable, as I'll be replacing it. The handlebar tape's gone also, because I'm also replacing it. The cable stops moving about halfway into the shifter. I've even tried threading it in from the other side (the "inside" of the handlebars), to see if it goes through, and it doesn't. I'm at a loss, here.

Broadside

Guru
Some photos might help so you can show where you are trying to put the cable through.

Have you got the shifter in the small ring position so there would be no cable tension?

Have you tried shinning a torch through the hole to check you are attempting to push the cable through the right aperture of the shifter?

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes, to both, and I can see the notch on which the cable sits. This is what it looks like:
20140510-LH-STI-shifter.jpg

Broadside

Guru
Did you cleanly get all of the old cable out? Could there be some of it stuck inside?

Does the new cable still have the 'sealed' end or are you trying to push a slightly frayed cable through? The cable end needs to be neat and tidy to go through.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes, no and yes.
Thanks for the replies, by the way, much appreciated :smile:. It's frustrating, and I'm considering removing the STI shifter to have a much closer look at it, because I need to understand why it was so easy to thread the right (rear derailleur) cable, but not the left... aaargh! :cursing:

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just tried shining a torch on the side of the shifter opposite the cable's entry point, and found that the cable doesn't line up with the hole for the short (approx. 1cm?) tube that sticks out of the right-hand side of this left-hand shifter, and guides the cable. I don't know why this one's misaligned, but it is. Tomorrow, when I've recovered my patience :laugh:, I'll try guiding the cable at this spot, so it gets through that final hole. I don't want to remove the shifter if I can avoid it, because then I'd have to remove the brake cable also.

The shifters are the original ones that came with this bike, which has now done over 72,000km, so perhaps I need to thoroughly clean and grease them, or even replace them? They work really well, though (once the bloody cables are in them, that is!).

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Problem solved! After threading the cable into the shifter as far as it would go, I then carefully positioned a bright torch at the other side of the shifter, used one of the pointy ends of a pair of tweezers to move the cable tip slightly sideways, and voila! It went through.

Time for the victory dance!
:wahhey:

Thanks again for your time, @Broadside :smile:.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
All done, now! :smile:. Shifter cables installed, derailleurs adjusted and handlebar tape wound.

I even mounted a GoPro on my seat post, facing rear. I had to remove the seat post- mounted Topeak Dynapack saddlebag to do this, because the GoPro's field of view was slightly obscured by the saddlebag. For the moment, until I find a better long-term solution, I have one of those barrel-shaped handlebar bags strapped to the handlebar, containing the usual essentials, e.g. spare tubes, mini-tool, etc.

Top Bottom