Can't trust the LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikeLiker

12" between rivet eyes? Sounds more like the anchor chain from some of the ships I used to sail on! :thumbsup:

Err, not adjacent rivet eyes. the number of links has no relevance as long as the distance between two rivet eyes is exactly 12". Read Sheldon Brown's pages. And I wouldn't get much sleep on a ship anchored with a riveted chain:smile:

amaferanga

Veteran
If your rear tyre has just worn out then you won't need to replace the front for quite some time.

As others have said, learn a bit of BASIC maintenance and you won't have to whinge about stuff like this. Changing tyre is about as difficult as tying shoe laces. And changing a chain or cassette isn't much harder.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
If your rear tyre has just worn out then you won't need to replace the front for quite some time.

As others have said, learn a bit of BASIC maintenance and you won't have to whinge about stuff like this. Changing tyre is about as difficult as tying shoe laces. And changing a chain or cassette isn't much harder.

Didn't know I was whinging but thanks anyway.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
To those people saying changing a tyre is as easing as opening a can of beans or tying your shoelaces - you need to check your can opener and or shoes. There is something very badly wrong with it/them.

amaferanga

Veteran
To those people saying changing a tyre is as easing as opening a can of beans or tying your shoelaces - you need to check your can opener and or shoes. There is something very badly wrong with it/them.

Are you really saying that changing a tyre is difficult? Are that it's easier than opening a can of beans?

gilespargiter

Veteran
Err, not adjacent rivet eyes. the number of links has no relevance as long as the distance between two rivet eyes is exactly 12". Read Sheldon Brown's pages. And I wouldn't get much sleep on a ship anchored with a riveted chain:smile:

That must be quite some bike you are riding there... My chain has 1/2" between the chain links!!! :cheers:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
"not adjacent rivet eyes"
English comprehension not your strong point?

Why don't you specify how many chain links should be between the 2 rivet eyes to give a 12" measurement? Or at least clarify your statement.

I know what you mean, but others don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
Why don't you specify how many chain links should be between the 2 rivet eyes to give a 12" measurement? Or at least clarify your statement.

Indeed, I don't. Not sure why BikeLiker feels the need to shout and throw insults! :wacko:

gilespargiter

Veteran

As I see bikelikers explanations are ambiguous and it may be important to someone who doesn't know; in order to be accurate you need to measure between pin centres, not between pins. If you measure between pins you will be exactly one pin diameter in error (plus any measurement error).
You can easily obtain a "between centres" measurement by measuring leading edge to leading edge or trailing edge to trailing edge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom