Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canyon Endurace CF 9.0

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Pro

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Pro with minor paint defect and £180 saving

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kitt

Regular
Hi there folks.

I stiil have a buying dilemma. I have been looking for quite some time now at a new road bike and after much research over several weeks have opted for something from Canyon's Endurace series.

My trouble is which model to choose and I have a shortlist of 3 now.

1: Endurace AL 7.0 TEAM
£1,149 with a £38.96 upgrate to have it fitted with the VCLS seatpost for some additional comfort.

It comes with Campagnolo Athena groupset and Campagnolo Vento wheelset. The frame is aluminium and the forks carbon. Canyon's own stem and bars. Total claimed weight an impressive 7.8kg

2: Endurace CF 9.0 £1,549

Carbon fibre frame (looks gorgeous) & carbon forks, Shimano Ultegra groupset (works well but looks less than gorgeous), DT Swiss R23 Spline wheelset (also rather lovely). Canyon's own stem and bars. Total claimed weight of just 7.3kg. All in works out about £360 dearer than the aluminium framed AL 7.0 team model.

3: Endurace CF 9.0 PRO £1,999

Same gorgeous frame, forks and wheels as on the £1549 Ultegra equipped CF 9.0 model but this one comes with Campagnolo Chorus groupset which in carbon fibre looks absolutely stunning. It also comes with Ritchey WCS stem and handlebars which add a nice bit of bling to the bike. It's even lighter than the Ultegra equipped model at a featherweight 7.15kg.

It's the one my heart wants but my head tells me the aluminium framed bike is great value and if I go for a carbon frame is the Campagnolo Chorus groupset worth the extra £450 over the Shiman Ultegra equipped bike? £450 is quite a chunk of cash at the end of the day.

There is however a 4th option! They have an Endurace CF 9.0 Pro model in their discounted factory outlet in my size (should I be telling you this)? With a large £180 discount due to a small imperfection in the paintwork (basically a tiny little chip in the paint on the top tube). This is a tempting deal but in months to come will I look at this and wish I'd bought the perfect example for £180 more, or will I inevitably get a few scrathes on the frame over time anyway and will hardly notice it?

With so many options my head is totally fried. I'm spending hours every night looking at them, sometimes I get as far as putting one in the basket but then I always hold back and don't go through with the transaction.

What should I do, any advice, help much appreciated?

You can line all three models up side by side on Canyon's Bike Comparison page:

http://www.canyon.com/en/tools/comparator.html

Cheers, happy riding.

Kitt

Drago

Legendary Member
You'll spend fifteen hundred sheets on a bike you can't test ride?

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
Yep, possibly £2000. that's the trade off for such great spec for the price. I can always take it to my LBS for a professional fitting and the reviews for these bikes ae excellent.

I just don't want a Giant or a Specialized. There are like the Ford and Vauxhalls of the bike world. Every other person has one and they're just not that great value. £2000 doesn't get me a Specialized or a Giant with a Chorus groupset and the weight would be closer to 8.0kg than the 7.15 Canyon. No contest.

I have a Giant mountain bike. It was ok but I spent so much on upgrades and eventually a new Santa Cruz frame with custom wheels I ended up spending more in the long run for something I love.

I could never truely love a boring Giant or a Specialized. I could love a beautiful black Canyon with Campagnolo groupset though! The paint jobs alone on the Giant Defy bikes are enough to make me be put off them. They just look cheap by comparison with the Canyon bikes.

bpsmith

Veteran
The test ride argument will run and run. On one hand, you have mo idea what they bike feels like, without a test ride. On the other hand, you have no idea what the bike feels like, after the usual short test ride that most dealers allow. You only really get to know a bike after a number of really decent length rides.

I imported my Bianchi without a test ride, after doing loads of research online and seeking the dealers advice on correct sizing for my actual upper and lower body measurements. No complaints!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Go for the CF 9.0, it's a great bike. I'm not convinced the Chorus is worth the extra, though yes it does look lovely.

Btw, if you go for the AL 7.0, don't bother with the seatpost - it's a right faff to make adjustments and the extra comfort it offers is questionable.

Not being able to test ride would be an issue for me too but Canyons are generally damn good bikes for the money so it's almost worth taking a punt. I'm convinced most buyers choose based on looks more than ride anyway, whatever they may have us believe.

bpsmith

Veteran
Looks are a significant part of it, I agree. No point having the best bike out there if you don't like the look of it. Same goes for the best looking bike out there that happens to be a rubbish ride. It's always a balancing act.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'd be tempted with the one with the saving. You can touch up a small mark, and unless you are ultra careful with your bikes, it will eventually get some marks anyway.

As for buying online, all my bikes have been bought this way and I have had no problem with fitting.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Would have to go for the pro, I love Campag but i would not have it with a compact chainset, unless you live in a really hilly area.
I do think the Endurace AL 7.0 TEAM is the best looking one though, i like a bit of colour:thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't canyon have some sort of UK presence, in kingston IIRC

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
Would have to go for the pro, I love Campag but i would not have it with a compact chainset, unless you live in a really hilly area.
I do think the Endurace AL 7.0 TEAM is the best looking one though, i like a bit of colour:thumbsup:

Funny that, I would have ordered it in the black version rather than the team colour. I like solid shades of black and grey rather than bight muti coloured bikes. It's all personal taste though.

I live in Surrey and there are quite a lot of hills in the county uincluding Box Hill and Leith Hill where the Olympic road race passed through, the highest point in the South East of England. I'm also not getting any younger and need all the help I can get!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Funny that, I would have ordered it in the black version rather than the team colour. I like solid shades of black and grey rather than bight muti coloured bikes. It's all personal taste though.

I live in Surrey and there are quite a lot of hills in the county uincluding Box Hill and Leith Hill where the Olympic road race passed through, the highest point in the South East of England. I'm also not getting any younger and need all the help I can get!
We have a couple of guy's in the club and they both love them, and as far as i know have not had a problem with them, Nice bikes.

ScotiaLass

Guru
...I just don't want a Giant or a Specialized. There are like the Ford and Vauxhalls of the bike world. Every other person has one and they're just not that great value.

I ride a Specialized. They are popular (as are Giant) for a reason.
I think for the money, they have a good spec, but it's obvious you have a lot more to spend than I did :smile:

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
I ride a Specialized. They are popular (as are Giant) for a reason.
I think for the money, they have a good spec, but it's obvious you have a lot more to spend than I did :smile:

I don't mean to rubbish their bikes, I've owned and Specialized Rockhopper mountain bike and there is a Giant XTC in the shed my son rides which used to be my steed. There is nothing wrong with them at all (although the Shimano hub on the rear wheel of the Giant fell apart after only a couple hundred miles). I just don't feel I could ever love a bike by either make in the same way my work vehicle is a Ford, it's perfictly decent enough but I could never be passionate about and so have a Subaru for when I'm not at work as it's a great drive, a bit different and I love it.

I only have that budget as I've been patient and saved for it. I'm not rich and it's certainly not throw away cash. It's a huge purchase for me so I want it to be as special as possible.

Top Bottom