Canyon Cheaper if Delivered to Ireland (Euro Rate)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

There aren't for personal use.

McWobble is spot on, just get it delivered under the OP's name to a premises in Ireland. What is wrong with this? (S)He can then carry, transport or preferably ride the bike over the border.

I am not sure where the OP is buying from, but Canyon's website adds VAT automatically. Normally for a B2C sale like this, VAT is charged in the country of sale, so it would be Germany; however, if they export more than €35 000 to Ireland, then they charge VAT in Ireland, which Canyon's own website acknowledges with 23% VAT (German MWST is 19% on bikes).

From rose bikes ,
All prices are stated in Euro/GBP and include statutory VAT which depends on the country of delivery:

Germany: full VAT 19% // reduced VAT 7% (VAT ID no.: DE 811 440 544)
Austria: VAT 20% (VAT ID no.: AT 406/0270)
Netherlands: BTW 21% (VAT ID no.: NL 823328648B01)
United Kingdom: VAT 20% (VAT ID no.: GB 975077385)
France: TVA 20% (SIRET no. FR 70521605071)
Sweden: Moms. 25% (VAT ID no.: SE502070394701)
Luxemburg: VAT 17% (VAT ID no.: LU 24929607)
Italy: IVA. 22% (VAT ID no.: IT00144759990)
Finland: ALV. 24% (VAT ID no.: FI 2421895-2)
Denmark: Moms. 25% (VAT ID no.: DK12627769)
Belgium: VAT. 21% (VAT ID no.: BE.0837.793.948)

U

User6179

Just looked at my receipt from Rose bikes and I was charged UK VAT rates (20%) , I tried to buy 4 tyres before from Germany and saw they were cheaper in Euros so tried to buy them in Euros and I remember noticing the price had shot up just as I was going to pay for them as UK VAT had been added .

BrynCP

Über Member
I thought VAT is added for Country it is being bought from , not country it is being sold from !?

For retailers with very little business in another EU state, it will typically by VATable in the country it is sold (Origin principle). However, if they sell more than €35k or €100k to a particular country(depends on the country), then they must charge VAT in that country instead (Destination principle). However, a country may opt, even at low values, to apply the Destination principle.

This applies to Goods; Services are more complicated.

I have often had to pay 7% VAT on physical books bought online from Germany, even though they are zero rated here.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Maybe a bit of an oddball thought, but when I purchased mine, the brakes were British, ie right lever/front brake, left lever/rear brake (with warning labels attached to remind me the brakes were fitted the wrong way round for the rest of Europe.
Which way round would Eire bikes brakes get shipped?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Maybe a bit of an oddball thought, but when I purchased mine, the brakes were British, ie right lever/front brake, left lever/rear brake (with warning labels attached to remind me the brakes were fitted the wrong way round for the rest of Europe.
Which way round would Eire bikes brakes get shipped?
Same way as UK, as we drive on the left.

BrynCP

Über Member
The import duty rate for importing Bicycle into United Kingdom is 15%
http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-bicycle/

Scroll down for United Kingdom
http://www.dutycalculator.com/count...taxes-when-importing-into-the-United-Kingdom/:
Import duty and taxes are due when importing goods into the United Kingdom from outside of the EU whether by a private individual or a commercial entity.

https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea:
The EU countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK

BrynCP

Über Member
Both are in the EU.

vickster

Legendary Member
The import duty rate for importing Bicycle into United Kingdom is 15%
http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-bicycle/

Scroll down for United Kingdom
Using your link, for importing a German manufactured bike, importing from Ireland to the UK, there is no import duty or VAT payable as two EU countries

Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance
  • Bicycle has an import duty rate of 15% and a VAT rate of 20% . Restrictions may apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies [Some probability]. Shipping prohibitions or restrictions may apply to bicycles and bicycle frames. Please, contact your courier.
Notes on import taxes due
  • No import duty is due between two members of the EU Customs Union
  • No additional import VAT due between members of the EC Fiscal area
  • Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

Considering buying a new Canyon and as I have a friend who lives close to N.Ireland border with Republic of Ireland I am going to have it delivered to him and pay in Euro (I live in N.Ireland). This will save about £220 at todays exchange rate.

Will this cause any issues with warranty etc?

Any thoughts?

Gonna buy a Canyon myself and living just outside Newry. If I lived 7 miles down the road I too could save about 200 quid. Go figure Eh :wacko:

Top Bottom