Canyon V Rose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shanta

Regular
Hi

Im looking to get my first carbon bike early next year so have started looking at whats out there. I had initially decided on a Canyon Ultimate CF 9, which at the start of the year they offerred with a compact 11/32, which i feel i need. However, this is n longer on there site and i can only have a semi with 11/28. This has put me off slightly as it would mean shelling out another 200 quid to get it to a compact 11/32 set. With that in mind i have now also started considering a Rose Xlite CRS 300 which you can confgure how you like with components. Just wondering what both Canyon & Rose bike owners think of each bike/brand/customer service. Rose also offer demo rides , albeit from the rep in Bath.

Cheers in advance...

Joffey

Big Dosser
Why shell out £200? If the rear derailleur is a long cage you can just stick on a 11-32 cassette and basically have the same gears.

martinclive

Über Member
Love my Rose and as you say, you can configure exactly as you like up front in lots of ways (not just the gearing)

Have heard nothing but good things about the Canyons but I had heard they are shipping everything with semi's now - can you call / mail them and see if they will do your setup? (do also remember, all those sponsorship $ of pro teams must come from somewhere!)

Ultimately if you really need that gearing - make sure you get it up front (or with just a cassette change required)

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You're very unlikely to go wrong with either.
As martinclive I too love my Rose and I particularly liked the custom options that were available. My mate is a massive Canyon fan boy and has been saying for years that if and when he has the money he'd get this Canyon or that Canyon, he'd update me on any recent reviews he'd read and just generally get on my nerves about them. Anyway, about a month after he did the Velothon Wales I got my Rose (I hadn't told him I was getting a new bike I just turned up on it one day) about a week later he told me (I suspect through gritted teeth) that he had had the chance to drool over a number of Canyons at the Velo but now he had seen my Rose he preferred my bike. I don't think I've read anything negative about Canyon, they're great bikes, but I just feel they're a little bit Mondeo.
I found Rose customer service to be efficient, it certainly wasn't what I'd describe as friendly and to be honest I did find the process a little stressful, but that was more to do with the amount I was spending rather than the customer service which was offered. What I ordered turned up and it was pretty much within the timescales they had said at the beginning.
I got the bike around the middle of June and put it away a week or so into October, during that time I did around 4.5k miles and it didn't miss a beat, of course it shouldn't miss a beat, but the fact is it didn't.
Two thumbs up from me for Rose.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The 11-32 availability on my Rose clinched it for me. I contacted Canyon re 11-32 and it wasn't an option. This was a couple of years ago however. Rose have a rep near Westbury Wilts, and it would be worth getting in touch with him (email on their website), but I don't think he has a huge range of bikes available for test rides. I've ordered stuff from Rose a number of times with no problems.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've heard the odd tale of woe about Canyon, and customer services stories that range from excellent to atrocious. You've no shop to walk into and no human being to collar and speak with if something is awry.

But most importantly you can't test ride one, and a website or catalogue can only give you the numbers, not how it'll feel or perform. Would you spend the same amount on a car you'd never driven?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Gearing (which can easily be changed) should not form the basis of a bike choice.
- helps make up your mind though.

simon.r

Person
Would you spend the same amount on a car you'd never driven?

I've ordered my last few cars without driving them first. Company cars admittedly, but still a significant commitment. I reckon a good read of the reviews and a sit in them is enough.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Canyon on order and they have severe delays at present. Got this email from the CEO yesterday. I do suspect they will have it sorted soon, but just beware

1fce9767d9699082bfea5b0c475aece5.gif

PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM ROMAN ARNOLD

fd0572367f16052b8172bb2c82cf4b1b.jpg

Dear Friend,

I am writing to apologize personally to you for the delay of your order and the lack of service that we are able to provide you at this time. The level at which Canyon is currently performing could not be further from the standards we as a company, and as avid riders, strive for. Our goals are to build the best bikes in the world, and to provide our customers exceptional service. We are not delivering on these goals, and it is therefore my duty to give you a full explanation of the issues we are experiencing.

In 2013, we embarked on two large-scale projects to meet increasing global demand for Canyon bikes. These included constructing our brand new, state-of-the-art Canyon.Factory and upgrading to an enhanced, fully customised, company-wide IT infrastructure. The combined objectives we set will allow us to provide you with more flexible, faster, and fundamentally better service. Our aim is to set a new benchmark within and beyond the cycling industry. Finally, after more than two years of extensive planning, implementing, and building, our new IT infrastructure is live and we have started production in the Canyon.Factory.

Any change on this scale is bound to create difficulties. Nevertheless, the transition has not gone as well as I had hoped. Consequently, your order may unfortunately be one of many affected as we continue to come to terms with the challenge of transferring our production to a cutting-edge facility that is fully integrated with a new IT infrastructure. I am sorry for any misinformation you may have received surrounding your order. We have successfully identified all initial failures we experienced. Right now our teams are working day and night to solve them. As such, I feel confident in our estimate that you will receive an accurate order confirmation from us within the next two weeks.

The fact that the very changes that were designed to make your experience with Canyon better, yet are doing the reverse, causes me in particular great personal grief. While the general situation continues to improve every day, it could be another four to six weeks before we are performing back at the level we expect of ourselves. As much as we would like to address your queries as best we can during this time, please understand that unfortunately neither our customer service centres nor I have any additional details we can provide.

On behalf of everybody at Canyon, thank you very much for your continued patience and support. And from me, personally, thank you for your understanding.

Yours sincerely,
8a7a0c7a1e4d5a282beab6b2eba2f9fe.png

Roman Arnold
Founder & CEO, Canyon Bicycles GmbH

Top Bottom