Car - Bangeromics

Downward

Veteran
Location
West Midlands
Scenario.
Currently paying £400 Insurance and Tax is going upto £235 in October. Using the car less and less now (20 miles a week now from 120) thanks to cycling so just to keep it on the road is £700 per annum inc MOT Plus £150 per year for a Work Car Park Pass.

Thinking of selling up and buying a runaround but needs to be cheap on Tax and Insurance as it'll be sitting on the drive 5 or 6 days per week under £1k.

Any ideas :becool:
 

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Location
Over the Hill
Downward said:
Scenario.
Currently paying £400 Insurance and Tax is going upto £235 in October. Using the car less and less now (20 miles a week now from 120) thanks to cycling so just to keep it on the road is £700 per annum inc MOT Plus £150 per year for a Work Car Park Pass.

Thinking of selling up and buying a runaround but needs to be cheap on Tax and Insurance as it'll be sitting on the drive 5 or 6 days per week under £1k.

Any ideas :becool:
Moped
 

Crankarm

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
Downward said:
Scenario.
Currently paying £400 Insurance and Tax is going upto £235 in October. Using the car less and less now (20 miles a week now from 120) thanks to cycling so just to keep it on the road is £700 per annum inc MOT Plus £150 per year for a Work Car Park Pass.

Thinking of selling up and buying a runaround but needs to be cheap on Tax and Insurance as it'll be sitting on the drive 5 or 6 days per week under £1k.

Any ideas :becool:
It must be a big gas guzzling old banger if VED payable on it is rising to £235 in October. As you say you need to get shot of it. What is it?
 

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you're only doing 20 miles a week why don't you ditch the £150 car park pass?

I saw a nice little 01 reg Punto for a grand yesterday, economical to run and very tempting but too small for my needs. You should easily find something similar, 106, Saxo, Fiesta etc.
 
OP
Downward

Downward

Veteran
Location
West Midlands
Alfa 147.

Main issue is 2 kids (18 months 4 1/2) who I have to drop off at carers and preschool twice a week and then head off too work (round trip of 12 miles) which I can't do on bike and get to work on time.
 
OP
Downward

Downward

Veteran
Location
West Midlands
Smokin Joe said:
If you're only doing 20 miles a week why don't you ditch the £150 car park pass?

I saw a nice little 01 reg Punto for a grand yesterday, economical to run and very tempting but too small for my needs. You should easily find something similar, 106, Saxo, Fiesta etc.
Yeah pass is off.
Punto's are nice (Hired one in 2001 brand new) but not sure on reliability ?
 

speccy1

Guest
I personally can`t fault the little Vauxhall Astra I bought from a friend of mine, it`s 12 years old, basic as basic gets, only a 1400 but takes motorways in it`s stride, I paid sod all for it (300 quid), and I love it!!

It`s good all-round, 110 quid a year tax, when I took it on holiday last month and did nearly 2000 miles in a week it was giving me 55 mpg:biggrin::biggrin:
 

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Location
The middle bit
If i ever need to buy a car it will be for low mileage infrequent journeys, and i reckon you can't do much better than an old tax-exempt landrover. Not great fuel consumption but doesn't need to be, cheap insurance and pretty reliable.

Not the most comfortable car in the world but it's what i'd get.
 

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
upsidedown said:
If i ever need to buy a car it will be for low mileage infrequent journeys, and i reckon you can't do much better than an old tax-exempt landrover. Not great fuel consumption but doesn't need to be, cheap insurance and pretty reliable.

Not the most comfortable car in the world but it's what i'd get.

You could get classic (mileage limited) insurance on an old car like that as well another saving.
 
OP
Downward

Downward

Veteran
Location
West Midlands
upsidedown said:
If i ever need to buy a car it will be for low mileage infrequent journeys, and i reckon you can't do much better than an old tax-exempt landrover. Not great fuel consumption but doesn't need to be, cheap insurance and pretty reliable.

Not the most comfortable car in the world but it's what i'd get.
Ta, Sadly my drive is too small.
 

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Location
lost somewhere
Get a second-hand diesel white van. Something like a Combo or Berlingo. Look for an ex-fleet one with about 100,000 on the clock. It will have been regularly serviced, and will be young. The engine should be good for another 100,00. Now the best bit......

....get a Millwall FC sticker for the back window, "Nobody loves us, we don't care."...

.....you will strike fear into the very hearts of lesser road users, especially those cycling scum. :evil:
 

Crankarm

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
slowmotion said:
Get a second-hand diesel white van. Something like a Combo or Berlingo. Look for an ex-fleet one with about 100,000 on the clock. It will have been regularly serviced, and will be young. The engine should be good for another 100,00. Now the best bit......

....get a Millwall FC sticker for the back window, "Nobody loves us, we don't care."...

.....you will strike fear into the very hearts of lesser road users, especially those cycling scum. :evil:
:thumbsup:!
 
Top Bottom