Car - Bangeromics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

The wife has a Peugeot 205 [ F reg 1988ish ] with a 950 petrol engine in it,,,, cheap tax, insurance, spares, they don't appear to rot..

It looks really nasty, especially after the take-away bloke crashed into in last year but running costs are low and we treat it very badly without ill affect.....

We have had it for a few years after being given it due to the previous owner getting pulled all the time while driving it.

Apparently the diesel versions are very good.

I will change the oil if it passes the MOT in July :wahhey:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wife runs a renault scenic which was great when sprog was a baby for all the crap we needed to carry.It costs erm £300 a year for insurance with me as a named driver and no idea what tax is .

I do not run a car as i have driven to work maybe 15 times this year including the 2 weeks at the start when it was very dicey.

Wife wants to replace it with a lease car from work as i get them at a cheap rate ( £120 a month for the basic 5 door auris ) but i am trying to get her to keep the one we have , i mean we are downsizing house cos of short time FFS :wahhey:

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
I'd go for some small shoot-box Korean Hyundai/Daewoo kinda thing, not sexy so no appeal to the Barry-boys, probably owned by people who looked after it (i.e not boy racers, but older or lower income people to whom the car was an expensive item, so they took some care with it). They're usually quite well put together if a little basic and the mechanicals are generally OK. Servicing and parts, tyres etc should be pretty cheap too.

This is my thinking for a basic, cheap run-around/learner car for my girls...

Wifes 1st car
Daewoo Matiz - 19k miles £2500.
45mpg round town, 65mpg on a run.

Nice little car tbh

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Downward said:
Wifes 1st car

Nice little car tbh

That'sthe kinda thing I'm starting to look for.
Was it cheap for servicing and parts?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I wouldn't own a clio after the new one I bought seven years ago was constantly breaking down. Eventually gave up trying to get it fixed (the dealers weren't interested - even though it was only a year old by then) traded it for a VW that we still have and just coming upto 99000 miles.
Since then every one I know who has had renaults, clios, lagunas and megane had serious problems costing them a fortune (e.g. complete new dash on the megane couple of grand due to an electronics problem)

my opinion - avoid renault like the plague

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Downward said:
Corsa and Clio on the shortlist so far !

Go for the Corsa! I'm the WVM who "outed" himself earlier, and was singing the praises of WVs . Mine is a Vauxhall Combo van. A Combo is just a Corsa with a big box welded on behind the front seats. Make sure you get a diesel.

Good luck.

speccy1

+1

I always was a great fan of Vauxhall`s and VW`s (I currently own both:thumbsup:lol:

They`re a safe bet all round, I despise french stuff, and it`s made out of tinfoil and the remains of plastic airfix kits.....total crap

Corsa/clio/hyundai/whatever, worthy runabouts but, sorry, I know there is a financial thing going on but I just couldn't change an Alfa for any of them.
How old / how much is the Alfa worth? Oldest ones seem to be going for around £2k ish. If its of that age its already had the biggest hit on depreciation and you already know its history - its yours.
As for Mrs.D not wanting to drive it, this I really don't get. Our 156 is the only car we have ever owned where I'm not expected to drive every time we go out.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Downward said:
Wifes 1st car

Nice little car tbh

Hired the Chevrolet Matiz once, when I was car-less. The only car I have ever hired that I was disappointed to bring back to the hire place in one piece. It was so narrow that my wife and I couldn't sit alongside each other without rubbing shoulders.

Although the Chevrolet was the cheaper upgrade of the Daewoo. The speedo is in the centre rather than having to make two different dashboards for LH and RH drive.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Downward said:
Corsa and Clio on the shortlist so far !

Got a diesel Corsa myself. Wouldn't recommend, wouldn't recommend against. Problem is that compared to my previous car, it is impossible to love. If you are going for a diesel, go for the 1.3CDti. This is the new Common Rail FIAT engine - earlier ones are more agricultural and less powerful.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
BrumJim said:
Got a diesel Corsa myself. Wouldn't recommend, wouldn't recommend against. Problem is that compared to my previous car, it is impossible to love. If you are going for a diesel, go for the 1.3CDti. This is the new Common Rail FIAT engine - earlier ones are more agricultural and less powerful.
Common rail diesel :tongue:

Potentially ruinous repair bills if it has been mis-fuelled at any time in it's life and very complicated and expensive engine management electronics that even the makers don't seem to understand.

I'm a diesel fan myself, but I'd be very wary of anything later than an 02 plate till they sort the technology out.

BrumJim said:
Got a diesel Corsa myself. Wouldn't recommend, wouldn't recommend against. Problem is that compared to my previous car, it is impossible to love.

this is the problem I have. the cheapest way to run a car is to buy something for around £300 with an MOT and run it until it will no longer get an MOT, spending as little as possible on it along the way. Then scrap it and start again. My problem is that I like to drive something with character, and this usually means that I get attached to it and start spending lots of money on it.:tongue:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my daily mileage if i drove to work would be 6 miles in total , so 3 yrs ago i decided to use a bike started of using marin bear valley in winter months come the first summer wanted to try an drop handle bar racer so now i keep an eye out for cheep racers that i can repair and maintain yet still use them for commuting .

so this is the same as bangernomics but on a biker ather than car

Top Bottom