Car bike racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gelfy666

Über Member
well ive just gone to a roof mounted cycle carrier, and managed to get a Halfrauds Value Carrier off Eblag for £5, overall quality dosnt seem to bad and ive spent the last week with it on the roof around mid Wales and it hasnt broken or fallen off.....lol.

so id recommend one.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 81

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm please to report that I am back from hols having covered over 400 mile of driving with four bikes on the roof of the MINI with no mishaps. On the return journey I worked out a better configuration for loading the bikes and only had to take two saddles off and did not have to twist the handlebars.

Very pleased with the Thule stuff, it ain't cheap but it is a reassuringly safe and secure way of transporting your bikes.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3112649, member: 45"]I do hope you cling-filmed the end of your seat posts.....[/QUOTE]

No I didn't do that, I'm not sure why I would want to. No doubt you'll correct me in the error of my ways.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
At the moment, roofbox.co.uk are doing a pair of Cruz Bici-racks bundled with lockable roof bars for £85.
We've had the Bici racks (on Atera bars) for a while - the carriers are a bit agricultural, but they hold the bikes securely (ours are mostly used for trips to France). I'm planning on getting a Thule carrier (for my bike) just for more ease in mounting & securing the bike - but if money is tight, the Bici racks do the job.

Gez73

Veteran
thule-970.jpg

We just bought this from Halfords. Required a lighting board and number plate but the lot came in at under £100 which is considerably less than other tow ball carriers. Will be ideal for our needs and stores dead compact too. We'll worth a look if you have a tow ball and lighting socket. Thule 970 by the way! Gez

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And a report: Just got back from a jaunt over the channel, involving le Shuttle through the Channel Tunnel, about 400 miles of motorway driving and a ferry with two bikes on the Thule 591 on the roof. Fuel consumption took a bit of a hit (down from ~52 mpg to ~43) but apart from that, no probs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I get about 7mpg hit with 4 bikes on the roof. Can still do 80 mph with them there.

PS I'd recommend using an additional toe strap (from old fashioned pedals) for the front wheel as this stops the 'shimmying' you see many bikes doing with roof mounted bars - just dampens the movement.

up hill struggle

well ive just gone to a roof mounted cycle carrier, and managed to get a Halfrauds Value Carrier off Eblag for £5, overall quality dosnt seem to bad and ive spent the last week with it on the roof around mid Wales and it hasnt broken or fallen off.....lol.

so id recommend one.

i bought one off these £19:99 from halfords & a set of roof bars that i got for £1 at a car boot sale didn't think the bars would fit but for a pound thought id give it a go as the following week i was gonna have to pay £129.99 for a set to fit my zafira.

as luck would have it they did fit, tight fit but, did fit. Even managed to crash test the halfords bike carrier after i came back from a run & started to remove the bike when the misses came out asked me to nip to the shop & get milk, while doing that she phoned asking for McDonalds for our girls, now me being a forgetful tw@t could remember starting to undo the bike but forgetting was interrupted and then re tightened it & drove in to McDonalds drive through hitting & breaking the height restriction sign good news however was that the rails on the car were undamaged as was the roof bars & halfords cheapest bike carrier the bike on the other hand did receive damage, well it scratched the bikes bell & made a black mark on one of the handlebar grips.

all said & done cheapest roof bars & carrier i could get my hands on successfully passed there crash test^_^.

gelfy666

Über Member
they wont contain a square framed bike though.... ive the dent in the roof to prove it lol

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I've got three of the Cruz Bike-rack Gs, which I got for about £20 each from roofbox.co.UK. They work well for my occasional use. I've also got a fold-flat plastic step to help me get the bikes on top of my Ford Fusion.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
[QUOTE 3177331, member: 45"]I stand on the door sill to reach the middle. Holding the bikes half way up the fork and seat stay helps.[/QUOTE]
I strap the front wheel to the frame, using a nylon strap. Makes it even easier.

Rupie

Über Member
Thule 532 and 591 roof rack and carbon frames, are a bit like swans, afraid of them having their arms broken by one but does anyone know anyone who has actually had any damage done ??

Kylemuki

I bought the Kuat Rack bike rack. It swings to the passenger side for unfettered access to your gear via a cancel lever arm that maxes out at 41 inches for universal vehicle compatibility. It is also equipped with a handle at the end of the rack for easy use when it’s in either a stowed or a folded position, and the full-time position only sticks out a foot for a compact design.

Top Bottom