Car bike racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger1

Veteran
I'm thinking of getting a Saris Bones 3 bike rack - does anyone know if this bike would fit onto it along with a adult road bike? Ideally would like to purchase it today in time for a trip tomorrow but can't get my daughters bike to the shop beforehand!

Thanks in advance, Pete
1385348759557-1ae1ukioghipu-670-80.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
Is changing the car an option? We fit three bikes three passengers and luggage inside our Picasso (original version) which is utterly reliable, very comfortable and has a big sunroof, climate control and cruise control and yet cost only a set of Ortliebs over a grand - i.e. less than many bikes. It came with a towbar already fitted too :smile:

Other than that I'd suggest a tow-bar rack for the lack of height, but as you don't have a tow bar I'd go for the roof bar option because it's cheaper and totally secure of you fit it right.

Or you can get bike racks that fit inside your car: I strap the bikes with bungee cords and the spare seatbelt when I put them in the car, but one of these would be neater, if you have enough length and room in the car? (can't paste a link for some reason - google bikeinside - other versions are available)

jay clock

Massive member
I'm thinking of getting a Saris Bones 3 bike rack - does anyone know if this bike would fit onto it along with a adult road bike? Ideally would like to purchase it today in time for a trip tomorrow but can't get my daughters bike to the shop beforehand!

Thanks in advance, Pete
1385348759557-1ae1ukioghipu-670-80.jpg

should be fine, I had a Bones and did similar with no problems

jay clock

Massive member
If its for occasional use the best option is the Sea Sucker Talon imho
http://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/

When a roof rack is not in use, it causes unnecessary drag and wind resistance which ultimately effects your fuel ecconony as such if one of the requirements is occasional use, removing it is ideal.
I have just sold a set of Thule 591as IMHO the sea suckers hold the bike closer to the car which results in the bike being buffeted about less and the fact you can move them between cars in seconds is more convenient than you would first think.
I have done similar speeds with them to what I did with the 591 without issue I'm very impressed with the product.

The Seasucker looks good but appears to be $270 for one bike fitting. So a lot, and double or treble for three bikes....

evo456

Über Member
Cycle carriers on roof rails here - Thule set-up would have preferred the towbar option to avoid lifting bikes over the top, but each method has it's down side. On cycling holidays where we park up in a local town it's challenging enough to find parking bays for large/long estate cars, having an extra 1-2m just makes it more difficult to park up. Sea suckers would terrify me, on the basis that single point of failure will be disastrous, where as on roof rack even if a footpack, or strap holding one wheel, or frame clamp slips there are other fail safes in place.

Last edited:

Rupie

Über Member
The thing that worries me with kits like the 591 is this. If I carry a carbon bike standing upright on my roof, does the wind cause the bike to vibrate or press against the fixings, and wheels, creating minute stress fractures and weeknesses in the frame ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The thing that worries me with kits like the 591 is this. If I carry a carbon bike standing upright on my roof, does the wind cause the bike to vibrate or press against the fixings, and wheels, creating minute stress fractures and weeknesses in the frame ?

No. Just don't overclamp the tubes. The bike goes through more stress riding it.

Thule 591 and a Mont Blanc carrier on Thule roof bars for me.
Never had a problem. Can be pricey, but eBay is your friend (unless your account is hacked).
Just be careful about where the clamps sit on the bikes as others have said.

Funnily enough I've had the bars fitted while we're doing up the new house and the mpg is getting better! :blink:

Rupie

Über Member
Its all very expensive, specially if you dont use them very often. I've found Ebay not the best value unless you are prepared to wait for a bargin.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 3094936, member: 45"]I've had 591s. They're simple, but heavy and quite wide on the bars.

Now that there's 4 of us I have 4 532s. Much cheaper, much lighter, and they hold the bike more securely. I Can get 4 in a line on the roof bars and reckon if I did it well could even manage 5. There's a knack to getting 4 bikes on a roof. It's all in where you grab the bike when you lift it, good balance, and standing on the door sills. I've managed to get 4 onto a Toyota Land Cruiser without needing a ladder. And I'm average height.[/QUOTE]

They are the same racks that Halfords badge up as 'Advanced'. I got mine when the 'Advanced' rack twin packs were on half price offer, so bought 2 packs (4 racks). They are deffo re-badged Thule, even down to the keys. Fell lucky with mine in that I had 4 matching locks for the bike clamp.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
At the moment, roofbox.co.uk are doing a pair of Cruz Bici-racks bundled with lockable roof bars for £85.

I bought the same combo about a year ago and I've been very pleased with it.

Re ferries, my only experience so far with the bikes on top has been with Wightlink. Minor panic when they boarded every other car before us and we thought we'd been overlooked, but that was only because they then put us on the lorry/coach deck with no headroom issues.

Top Bottom