Car bike racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I recently bought a Witter ZX200 so I could get me and my bike further afield. Seem to do the job fine. When you first strap your pride and joy on a rack of any kind you wonder if your doing the right thing. Not sure if this works as it's on my FB page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741842.100002290221588&type=1&l=ee07a57fae
Don't like the way the wheels stick out each side (not just on tours mate just generally) one close encounter and the wheel becomes a pringle, not nice.
The best way to extend your range is a tent/B&B now wether you carry the tent or the other half carries it (and the kids) in a "support" vehicle is up to you. :whistle:

I have a bike rack which goes on the back. 2 straps for the top, 2 for the sides and 2 on the bottom. The bottom straps used to come off all the time and we had to stop and reattach them. But we now use bungie ropes and they work wonders. I'l take a photograph when I have it on next week :smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Bikes on cars fill me with horror. I refuse to drive behind any vehicle bearing bikes on a motorway, as I fear a bike through the windscreen at any moment.
Any experience/advice?
Lastly, there's always the "ride there" option.

I started taking my bike abroad with me about 5 years ago, and at first used the "Heath Robinson designed" strapped version you referred to. I had very few problems with it (other than its untidiness),and still use it as a wall mounting for my No.2 bike in the garage. I did, however, once end up having to hold the tailgate up while a very slow and methodical customs officer searched through my boot at the Channel Tunnel, and I never fancied repeating the weightlifting experience.

Like you, I think the "tow bar for the sake of it" idea does not make much sense, given the price. I just use Halfords bike racks on Thule roof bars. They creak and wobble a little bit, but so long as they are locked, I am confident they are very secure. The added bonus is the flexibility you have in adding 1, 2, 3 or even 4 racks to the roof, or, like me, a combination of bike racks and half-width top box.
3 Packed & ready to go.jpg
The potential down side that you do have to watch out for is low height restrictions. My wife and I had to do a 20 mile detour in the Alps last year when the main road suddenly announced a low tunnel and I heard the hanging chains on the overhead height tester hitting the bike. Worse still, a friend of a friend once sliced his £2,000 carbon bike in half at a service station car park that had a height limit (Not covered by any of his insurance). With that in mind, I have had a few dodgy moments going under barriers and suddenly trying to remember whether the bike is on top or not! I even had one hairy moment suddenly discovering that the carpark for the Bristol/Bath Railway Path at Warmley even had a height restriction. As a result, I do not feel able to take my bike by car into any big cities to start urban rides because I don't know whether the car parks will be suitable.

We have also had a few incidents of automated French motorway toll booths that keep reading us as a lorry when they detect the load height, and dispensing the ticket way out of my wife's reach, forcing me to get out and walk round the car to collect the ticket.

All the above sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of roof bars, but I honestly think they are the best and the easiest option, and I plan to carry on with them.The ones that really freak me out are the ones that mount end-on at 90 degrees on the back of the car, apparently suspended by the wheels. (I'd want to know my wheels were on tight!).

Thule pro 591's for me . 70mph on the M40 no problem.
Leaves the boot free for family luggage and two bikes up top. Never had an issue

It's a no-brainer. These are not cheap, but the best you can buy. Nothing else comes close. Secure, out of the way, just don't forget they are up there. Tie a ribbon to the steering wheel or something else to remind you.

compo

Veteran
Some years ago I wrote off a roof mounted bike, bent up the roof rack and damaged the roof guttering on my car when I totally forgot it was there and went under the low bridge at Needham Market.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
This is just for occasional use. One specific purpose is to get the bikes out to France by ferry.

If its for occasional use the best option is the Sea Sucker Talon imho
http://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/

When a roof rack is not in use, it causes unnecessary drag and wind resistance which ultimately effects your fuel ecconony as such if one of the requirements is occasional use, removing it is ideal.
I have just sold a set of Thule 591as IMHO the sea suckers hold the bike closer to the car which results in the bike being buffeted about less and the fact you can move them between cars in seconds is more convenient than you would first think.
I have done similar speeds with them to what I did with the 591 without issue I'm very impressed with the product.

Kies

fair point, and i did notice some drag, but it feels so secure with OEM bars and the 591 - i shall stay with my config

procel

Tow-ball + Thule Rideon 9503 feels very solid, much more so than the strappy thing we had before. And we took it on the Eurotunnel last week no problems.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm also looking into this atm, as the OH and me will be taking our bikes over to Belgium in June.

Did anyone mention if roof racks cause issues with getting on and off ferries?

The other question is - apart from the towbar racks...which are not an option anyhow - is fitting most of the racks a job anyone half competent with a spanner can do in a couple of hours? This would include fitting the roof bars, as they car currently has none.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've bought the fancy Thule roofrack. I still haven't got around to fitting it yet. I dread the instructions. I keep finding/inventing more important tasks that need doing. The poor lawn is getting mowed to within an inch of its life.

@Bodhbh you do have to tell the ferry people when you buy your tickets that you will have stuff on the roof. It's a standard question and they send you to a section with appropriate clearance. I don't think it causes any kind of problem. I've crossed to France with other people with bikes on top no problem.

Bodhbh

Guru
@Bodhbh you do have to tell the ferry people when you buy your tickets that you will have stuff on the roof. It's a standard question and they send you to a section with appropriate clearance. I don't think it causes any kind of problem. I've crossed to France with other people with bikes on top no problem.

kk ta, I think they've already taken the height info, but maybe we can change that...I don't know.

Top Bottom