Car clamp or theft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
automatic_jon said:
I wonder if there's ever been any cases of someone's bike being clamped for leaving it where a private company can make money out of it.

Southampton General Hospital charge £30 for removal of their D Lock should you park away from their designated cycle parking. Though usually they're kind enought to just remove the bike and charge you a tenner:

http://downfader.blogspot.com/2009/08/cycle-parking-prohibited-theyll-take.html

:laugh:

I have developed a theory as today has progressed. I think that they take a couple of cars every night (they had lifted one other with ours) = £560 per night = £10,000+ a month. The reason why they never answered the phone numbers last night is because they had their quota of cars and turned the phones off.

A pretty common tactic is also to pretend they're busy and leave the phone off the hook, and also to scab cars at a weekend and only "work" weekdays in the office. Rogue Traders and co have done a load on these scumbags.

Brains

Legendary Member
Our local clamper has been fire bombed so many timea they have moved premesis
It got to a stage when more than one group/person was atacking at the same time

I can only suggest very direct action as being the best solution. You will not get penny back, but you will know they are not making a profit from theft

PaulB

Legendary Member
I think direct action is the best course in cases like this despicable one. The only time it happened to me, some gormless looking blert was attempting to get my car on his transporter but he had second thoughts and removed the chains and drove off! I think it was the fact that I promised him he'd spend several hours in the local A&E unit if he persisted. Him and his son, it was in this cowboy set-up and the son looked disgusted when his father told him to get in the passenger seat and drove him off.

markg0vbr

Über Member
i have just done some direct action today.
got riped off by car phone warehouse and they have strung me along through the complaint department for three months:angry:. so i have made a big placard that is attached to the rack at the back of my trike:angry:. i got quite a lot of cheering and shouts of encouragement, the staff from all the other phone shops on the high street had there camera phones out cheering me on, as i rode back and forth:laugh:.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
markg0vbr said:
i have just done some direct action today.
got riped off by car phone warehouse and they have strung me along through the complaint department for three months:angry:. so i have made a big placard that is attached to the rack at the back of my trike:angry:. i got quite a lot of cheering and shouts of encouragement, the staff from all the other phone shops on the high street had there camera phones out cheering me on, as i rode back and forth:laugh:.

Quality!! You sir, are a legend! :laugh::biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Signs have to be clearly displayed or you have a case. 1st priority is get your car back and then get to the small claims court with your photo's. you can do it yourself, no need for a solicitor. you just have to prove to the judge that it wasn't clearly displayed that you couldn't park there.

keep a record of all receipts and expenditure.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I'm glad you got your car back and from the sounds of things, you probably have a good case for small claims - unclear signage to say the least.

It's stories like this that make me park my car on the public road or public car park whenever possible - I'd rather walk for 10 mins than risk having some dodgy private company impound my car! The worst you'll get from the council's traffic wardens on a public road or public car park is a parking ticket for £30 (I've had a few ... :laugh:) - unless you park in a patently stupid place in which case they will tow your car away.

Top Bottom