Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Except adblue equipped diesels are almost all cleaner in every emissions department than petrol cars, nox, farticulates and co2.

Adblue systems only tend to fail because people are eejuts. Let a 15 litre Adblue tank get low enough to bring on the "fill me up" warning light and there's 10 or 12 litres of empty space above in which urea crystals will have formed. Do that enough times and those crystals start causing problems. Keep it topped right up and the problem is solved. That aside they're very simple with little to fail on its own.

Nah, you can stick your overly complicated diesels !

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Overly complicated? Wouldn't have thought you of all people would fall for that pub level trope.

It's a four stroke reciprocating engine much like any other. Simpler in many ways, lacking as it does fripperies such as VVT or even variable compression. Piston go up, piston go down, crank turns, power is made. That's it.

I would wager that few could tell a diesel block from a petrol one by simply looking, and the reason is there's fundamentally bugger all difference.

DRM

Guru
Except adblue equipped diesels are almost all cleaner in every emissions department than petrol cars, nox, farticulates and co2.

Adblue systems only tend to fail because people are eejuts. Let a 15 litre Adblue tank get low enough to bring on the "fill me up" warning light and there's 10 or 12 litres of empty space above in which urea crystals will have formed. Do that enough times and those crystals start causing problems. Keep it topped right up and the problem is solved. That aside they're very simple with little to fail on its own.

They do fail, especially the PSA built vehicles, as they don’t countdown miles until empty, until it’s nearly empty, then decides there’s an engine fault and starts panicking & flapping like corporal jones, it’s a known fault, needs to have the tank replaced, Peugeot bless ‘‘em like to charge their customers for such warranty work

Jody

Stubborn git
TBF to both of you, all modern engines are complex bits of kit. Diesels slightly more so than petrol but that's only because the amount of small NA petrol engines available.

november4

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
They do fail, especially the PSA built vehicles, as they don’t countdown miles until empty, until it’s nearly empty, then decides there’s an engine fault and starts panicking & flapping like corporal jones, it’s a known fault, needs to have the tank replaced, Peugeot bless ‘‘em like to charge their customers for such warranty work

That fault was resolved fairly early on. The system wasn't vented and the pump couldn't handle the resulting vacuum in the tank as the level fell. New cap with vents introduced in 2016 cured it from then on, and prior to that PSA did the repairs gratis, even out of warranty, if the car had a full dealer history. If it didn't then people were usually told to sod off - after all they've not shown the dealer network any goodwill, so why should they show any in return?

As an related warranty aside, mine had £600 of suspension work paid for for free by Peugeot at 5 years and 10 months, almost three years out of warranty, because it has a full dealer history - so much for charging cuetomers for warranty work.

The problems caused by a near empty tank are down to EU law. The car can not lawfully be used with a non functioning system so the EU mandated that when the level gets really low the car starts a countdown from 750 miles (or 1200km) to Zero, at which point it won't start. Legislators decided those numbers, not Peugeot, and all manufacturers that used AdBlue dosing had to do the same. Once in the countdown mode a simple refill will not reset it, that task requiring a dealer computer. Again, that is not a fault - that's how the legislation at the time said it had to be done.

Those drivers who aren't idiots and keep an eye on such things rarely suffer any problems. Keep it topped up and a vacuum can't form, crystals can't appear and start fouling things up, and the countdown timer can't be triggered. Old pilots, bold pilots...and sad cardigan wearing gits like me that actually check levels every week as the handbook tells us to but which almost no-one ever does.

DRM

Guru
That fault was resolved fairly early on. The system wasn't vented and the pump couldn't handle the resulting vacuum in the tank as the level fell. New cap with vents introduced in 2016 cured it from then on, and prior to that PSA did the repairs gratis, even out of warranty, if the car had a full dealer history. If it didn't then people were usually told to sod off - after all they've not shown the dealer network any goodwill, so why should they show any in return?

As an related warranty aside, mine had £600 of suspension work paid for for free by Peugeot at 5 years and 10 months, almost three years out of warranty, because it has a full dealer history - so much for charging cuetomers for warranty work.

The problems caused by a near empty tank are down to EU law. The car can not lawfully be used with a non functioning system so the EU mandated that when the level gets really low the car starts a countdown from 750 miles (or 1200km) to Zero, at which point it won't start. Legislators decided those numbers, not Peugeot, and all manufacturers that used AdBlue dosing had to do the same. Once in the countdown mode a simple refill will not reset it, that task requiring a dealer computer. Again, that is not a fault - that's how the legislation at the time said it had to be done.

Those drivers who aren't idiots and keep an eye on such things rarely suffer any problems. Keep it topped up and a vacuum can't form, crystals can't appear and start fouling things up, and the countdown timer can't be triggered. Old pilots, bold pilots...and sad cardigan wearing gits like me that actually check levels every week as the handbook tells us to but which almost no-one ever does.

Not true, had it on a 21 plate PSA Group van last summer,so it was as near as damn it 1 year old, with a vented Ad-Blue Tank cap, they don't do the the countdown & then the engine stop warning comes on, it should countdown from 1700 miles left, down to a no start at empty, but the tank contents level fails, I know that my van does approximatley 350-400 miles per litre of Ad-Blue, and I top it up every 3000-4000 miles, I carry at least 10 litres round for topping up and don't let it go below half full, if you look at the Peugeot Van forums many complained that 1 to 2 year old vans were being brought back with various ad-blue faults, and some dealers wanted £1100 to replace the faulty tank, until a call was made to Peugeots head office & the dealers were reminded it's a warranty job, so despite "keeping an eye on such things" it threw a wobbly 120 miles away from home, and would not reset to the correct level reading despite filling the tank up at the first oppertunity, which it did do in the past, it wouldn't reset from the dealers laptop, & had to have a new tank fitted, should add it's not just me, the whole fleet of around 300 vans are failing with this Ad-Blue tank fault

Jameshow

Veteran

Pretty stupid design to countdown once the reset has to be done by a dealer! Or a cash cow!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It's the EU. I guess it's to make sure the system is functioning and people can't tinker with it, but that is just a guess. Who knows what their motivation was?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Not true, had it on a 21 plate PSA Group van last summer,so it was as near as damn it 1 year old, with a vented Ad-Blue Tank cap, they don't do the the countdown & then the engine stop warning comes on, it should countdown from 1700 miles left, down to a no start at empty, but the tank contents level fails, I know that my van does approximatley 350-400 miles per litre of Ad-Blue, and I top it up every 3000-4000 miles, I carry at least 10 litres round for topping up and don't let it go below half full, if you look at the Peugeot Van forums many complained that 1 to 2 year old vans were being brought back with various ad-blue faults, and some dealers wanted £1100 to replace the faulty tank, until a call was made to Peugeots head office & the dealers were reminded it's a warranty job, so despite "keeping an eye on such things" it threw a wobbly 120 miles away from home, and would not reset to the correct level reading despite filling the tank up at the first oppertunity, which it did do in the past, it wouldn't reset from the dealers laptop, & had to have a new tank fitted, should add it's not just me, the whole fleet of around 300 vans are failing with this Ad-Blue tank fault

DIfferent P/Ns, larger tanks and different pump assy.

Different legislation applies to commercial vehicles with different mileage countdown requirements,

And PSA have not been fitting diesels to CARS, the subject under discussion, for several years.

So your woes are very sad, but utterly irrelevant at every level.

Anyway, mine is just fine because I continue to follow the advice of those that have trod that path before me. It was fine yesterday, fine today, and will continue to be fine years into the future, and you lot wishing otherwise won't change that at all so I'm rather unsure what you're all flapping your gums over.

It's fine. Get over it.

Gunk

Guru

Not a problem with my BMW as I tend to run it with a full tank, as once it drops below half a tank the car gains an annoying rattle which I’ve yet to diagnose, so I’ve given up!

gbb

Legendary Member
Re diesel vs petrol, there's nothing inherently wrong with diesels (I've never had one btw), the problems really arising when they're brought and used inappropriately , short journeys, city driving etc etc.
My SIL is a garage mechanic with donkeys years experience. Diesel cars form a lot of his work but its usually dpf problems, injectors and dmf flywheels.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, assessment from the insurers is I'm going to need an almost entire new exhaust, SCR cat, engine undertray and AdBlue tank/pump assembly, thick end of £2.5k the lot. The insurers car sort that, it's a bit rich for my wallet.

Sadly we'll never find the culprit that left his/her silencer in the road that I hit in the dark, but I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and Dr Barrymore prescribes an intensive course of swimming therapy to cure it.

Top Bottom