Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's why I got my Autel. I've done a couple of mates vehicles now. My son's car reset the oil change. My neighbours Insignia CDTI. I'm thinking of getting some new wheels and will need to program the sensors.

Did you get the 'tablet' sized one or the smaller version ML629 - does most stuff TBH.

fossyant

Not DIY but our grandaughter is learning to drive and wants a small affordable (insurance) car.
This week we went to look at a Citroën C1 and a 2007 1.2 Ka.
The Citroën was 'ok' but she has her heart set on a Ka. Went to look at one, small independent dealer, £2600 for a 100k mile plus car that wasn't actually that good, it looked a but tired and worryingly, as you revved the engine, there was a gentle thunk sound as the revs dropped off...probably engine mount I thought...dealer passed it off as a heat shield...cobblers. Hole in the exhaust, it was just overpriced and tired, pre pandemic you'd have struggled to justify £1000 for it.
Our SIL is a garage mechanic, his boss is a neighbour of our gd, he said take the Citroën over a Ka, rotboxes in his opinion, that thunk was probably either subframe or engine mounts. One to walk on from

The C1/Aygo/Pugs are basic, especially MK1, but cheap to fix and not heavy to work on for DIY. Bit noisy inside but hey ho.

fossyant

Early triplets are showing signs of rust now. Get a clean one and seal the bejesus out of it.

Main issues are rear lower panel in front of the rear wheels, and the rear subframe mounting - check these. I cleaned ours up and sealed it, and keep it swished clean when washing the car.

fossyant

The Aygo's aux belt has been squeeling when very cold outside (not that I'd know as I've not driven it). Son ordered a Conti one from Euro car Parts for £15, I picked it up and he fitted it. Only down side is the adjuster bolt sheered without any force, so he dug into his big box of spare bolts, and found a replacement. Old belt has over 100k on it.

replaced all my car interior light bulbs with these things
1702662688023.png

guess I can't pick my nose at night in stealth mode anymore
1702662729817.png

november4

I use launch crp429c with my honda crv, probably only good for this car, as took some time to find the model whuch worked....needed to circumvent dpf tomlfoolery from dumb owner using engine flush at oil change, and resetting srs warnings after fixing loose connectors. It wasn't that expensive

CXRAndy

Guru
Story of lack of checks and maintenance

My mates daughter, said the oil light came on . He checked it the oil level. It required 3 litres to bring it back into the middle of the dip stick :ohmy: It only has a 4 litre sump. He then told me the oil cap is milky too.

So likely blown head gasket and some bottom end ,rod, crankshaft bearings have been cooked. She wants a newer car, but hers is now pretty much worthless, due to repair costs.

Doh

tyred

Legendary Member
Story of lack of checks and maintenance

My mates daughter, said the oil light came on . He checked it the oil level. It required 3 litres to bring it back into the middle of the dip stick :ohmy: It only has a 4 litre sump. He then told me the oil cap is milky too.

So likely blown head gasket and some bottom end ,rod, crankshaft bearings have been cooked. She wants a newer car, but hers is now pretty much worthless, due to repair costs.

Doh

My sister seized a relatively low mileage Fiesta once due to lack of oil.

She had noticed the pool of oil on the driveway every morning but thought it would be alright for going three miles to work.

tyred

Legendary Member
I should add that my sister gets through cars like most people get through boxes of Corn Flakes. No matter which brand or model, she'll find away of breaking it.

swapped out all the two-part capped wheel bolts, for solid bolts on my Son's car & he helped w/ 1/2 the labor
2bolts.jpg

found out one can do this w/o jacking the car, because the weight of the car rests on the wheel hub, but I took 1/ 2 the weight off
jack.jpg

guess I'll hang on to the old ones?
old bolts.jpg

Top Bottom