Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Car flashed up air bag issue this afternoon. It's been stood for a couple of weeks in the cold and damp. Plugged in the Autel reader and it said left hand side airbag. It's usually drivers side. Electrical contact cleaner on connectors inside chair and underneath. Gave everything a good wiggle. Cleaned steering wheel air bag contacts and drivers side too. Rescanned and all clear. Phew.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not DIY in a normal sense but I brought a set of alloys, better condition than my abused ones, to fit while I figured out what to do...
Fitted the two fronts the other day...they came with quite good tread Yokohamas. My old wheels have fairly cheap Accelera tyres, I was never particually impressed in their noise levels and how noisy they seemed if you drove fairly hard into a turn...the Yokohamas feel and sound much better.
As the old saying goes...you gets what you pays for.
I think the Acceleras were around £90 each
Yokohamas around £120 each

Gunk

Guru
Not DIY in a normal sense but I brought a set of alloys, better condition than my abused ones, to fit while I figured out what to do...
Fitted the two fronts the other day...they came with quite good tread Yokohamas. My old wheels have fairly cheap Accelera tyres, I was never particually impressed in their noise levels and how noisy they seemed if you drove fairly hard into a turn...the Yokohamas feel and sound much better.
As the old saying goes...you gets what you pays for.
I think the Acceleras were around £90 each
Yokohamas around £120 each

I did the same years ago with one of my BMW’s a complete set of better wheels and tyres for less than the price of a set of new tyres, plus I ended up selling the old set for almost as much as I paid for the new ones.

november4

Car flashed up air bag issue this afternoon. It's been stood for a couple of weeks in the cold and damp. Plugged in the Autel reader and it said left hand side airbag. It's usually drivers side. Electrical contact cleaner on connectors inside chair and underneath. Gave everything a good wiggle. Cleaned steering wheel air bag contacts and drivers side too. Rescanned and all clear. Phew.

I had similar coming back intermittently, solved by clamping connector with tiewrap

My passenger side

fossyant

Son returned home about 9pm last night saying Aygo was misfiring and he suspected a coil pack. A quick check and no clicking from the middle of the 3 cylinders when we pulled the pack off the spark plug (he'd driven at least 50 miles limping home on two cylinders). Order placed with ECP and collected and fitted by 9:30. Code checked and cleared. All fine. £45 for new one.

My Autel reader has paid for itself. This reads ABS and airbag which most cheap ones can't do.

CXRAndy

Guru
My Autel reader has paid for itself. This reads ABS and airbag which most cheap ones can't do.

I bought the cheaper end of professional scanner. It does ABS, transmission, TPMS programming as well the plethora of code reading for engines. It also does EV stuff, but not great amount yet. Possibly update will improve that.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Similarly, I'm a big fan of iCarsoft scanners for reading and clearing codesmon all chassis systems, doing regens, programming new components and sesors, etc. I have the Volvo one and it paid for itself the first time I used it on my olde XC90. It works on the C70 too, although - touch wood- I've never needed to use it in anger there.

I've considered getting the Peugeot version, or maybe paying out the extra 70 quid and getting the all makes version for a little over 200 snifters.

fossyant

I bought the cheaper end of professional scanner. It does ABS, transmission, TPMS programming as well the plethora of code reading for engines. It also does EV stuff, but not great amount yet. Possibly update will improve that.

Its cheaper end, about £120 but self contained with a small colour screen. Not the bigger stuff Autel do. Just that bit easier with multiple cars than the cheap reader and an app (which are good). My son has a VW compatible device that does most of the OEM stuff via laptop.

fossyant

Never needed a reader with my Nissan as you could get the code sequence to flash up if you had the service CD and had the magic combo of key on off/pedal presses (pre all this new reader stuff) and you could get it to rescan once you fixed the fault.

The scanner is easier.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its cheaper end, about £120 but self contained with a small colour screen. Not the bigger stuff Autel do. Just that bit easier with multiple cars than the cheap reader and an app (which are good). My son has a VW compatible device that does most of the OEM stuff via laptop.

That's why I got my Autel. I've done a couple of mates vehicles now. My son's car reset the oil change. My neighbours Insignia CDTI. I'm thinking of getting some new wheels and will need to program the sensors.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not DIY but our grandaughter is learning to drive and wants a small affordable (insurance) car.
This week we went to look at a Citroën C1 and a 2007 1.2 Ka.
The Citroën was 'ok' but she has her heart set on a Ka. Went to look at one, small independent dealer, £2600 for a 100k mile plus car that wasn't actually that good, it looked a but tired and worryingly, as you revved the engine, there was a gentle thunk sound as the revs dropped off...probably engine mount I thought...dealer passed it off as a heat shield...cobblers. Hole in the exhaust, it was just overpriced and tired, pre pandemic you'd have struggled to justify £1000 for it.
Our SIL is a garage mechanic, his boss is a neighbour of our gd, he said take the Citroën over a Ka, rotboxes in his opinion, that thunk was probably either subframe or engine mounts. One to walk on from

CXRAndy

Guru
I have a C3 petrol we acquired from a relative. It's a 17 plate with 30k on it. My daughter will learn to drive in it. And use it for a year, before we sell it. She will move onto an EV leaf thereafter

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom