Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Not quite Car DIY but we have a broad brush here at Phaeton Towers, the daughter saw a horse trailer for sale the other day & asked to go look, which I did, I too my trolley jack & checked each wheel bearing as the are silly expensive, they were all good, but it's difficult to check the brakes as it was just in a field, but she said they had been serviced by her mechanic brother, but there was a problem with the handbrake. Anyway bought it & I dragged it home with the Shogun & all was fine, but she was correct the handbrake lever was rusted solid, well it was the energy store (big spring in a tube) so I replaced that & tried the handbrake, still didn't stop the box rolling.

Today I figured I'd adjust the brake shoes up to get the handbrake working, however on removing the drums on one side I found out why the handbrake wasn't working there is no braking pad left on either of the shoes on one side, I expect the other side to be the same.

IMG_20220612_151349_248.jpg

IMG_20220612_151344_508.jpg

I'm glad I checked as I wouldn't want the daughter to be towing her horse & pony around in a box with no brakes like the previous owner clearly had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly telling porkies about her brother servicing the brakes!

D

Deleted member 26715

Trailers do bother me, caravan's included, given how shoddy people maintain their own cars that get a yearly MOT.

I agree, this is even worse in my eyes as they were carrying horses in this up to a couple of weeks ago, no reason why any trailer over 750Kgs should not have an annual test, but again who is going to check that the test has been carried out, unless they went down the registration process.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I agree, this is even worse in my eyes as they were carrying horses in this up to a couple of weeks ago, no reason why any trailer over 750Kgs should not have an annual test, but again who is going to check that the test has been carried out, unless they went down the registration process.

Exactly, I mean some MOT's are a bit dodgy - they can't have possibly checked the brakes on the Aygo we bought - front discs and pads were shot, and the MOT was two months before we bought it.... in this case the cost to me was just £38. I've checked the drums since and they are fine.

D

Deleted member 26715

Exactly, I mean some MOT's are a bit dodgy - they can't have possibly checked the brakes on the Aygo we bought - front discs and pads were shot, and the MOT was two months before we bought it.... in this case the cost to me was just £38. I've checked the drums since and they are fine.

This is going to cost a fair bit more, the backplates are welded on, so will have to be cut off & then the new ones welded into position, not quite sure how to ensure they are in the correct place yet, they are £32 each, (£128) then 4 sets of shoes another £120 plus all the time involved

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Oil and filters today.
How much are garages charging now ? DIY cost me IRO £45 for air and oil filters and oil and i could have spent double on oil, some of its ridiculously priced.
I had intended doing an interim one, say every 6000 miles but i forgot, 10000 miles is its standard...oil was quite dark.

Yes, I did part of the service on my Caravelle on Saturday;
  • Oil & filter, decided to leave the fuel filter as I'd changed that in 2020, and haven't done much mileage.
  • Repaired the front parking sensor that popped off the inside of the bumper at least 4 years ago; access involved removing the bumper which was a bit time consuming trying to find all the fastenings.
  • Cleaned out the build-up of debris from between the radiator, aircon rad and intercooler whilst the front gill was off.
  • Found out I had ordered the wrong gearbox mount (5-speed mount won't fit), and decided it really does need changing soon
  • Discovered I need a larger set of multi-spline bits to replace the anti-roll bar bushes
A reasonable productive day, even managed to wash the engine and outside.

CXRAndy

Guru
This is going to cost a fair bit more, the backplates are welded on, so will have to be cut off & then the new ones welded into position, not quite sure how to ensure they are in the correct place yet, they are £32 each, (£128) then 4 sets of shoes another £120 plus all the time involved

If the backing plates are genuine parts, they should have identical weld points for position. Or just make sure edge of plate is equidistant from axle stub

gbb

Legendary Member
I can see some DIY on the near horizon.
Went out to the car this morning (2018 Mazda 3 with Stop start)..door wouldnt open, nothing.
Got in with the key ...battery dead flat. Walked to my SILs (3 mins away ) to get the Doblo and jump mine, duly done. I assumed id maybe left the boot ajar or something but im not convinced id left anything awry.
14 mile drive, test battery, 12.2v static, dropping to 11.5 when starting, 13.2 charging at idle, 14.5 ish at 1500 rpm. First two readings are a tad low but its only 14 miles on a dead flat bettery.
I can get a Bosch equivelent for £123...tomorrow may be the decider.

D

Deleted member 26715

Doblo and jump mine, duly done.

Just an FYI & if I'm teaching a granny eggs & all that, ignore me, but on modern cars if you are going to jump them, before connecting the jump leads switch on the lights, that way if there is a spike/surge it goes to earth via the lights & not the ECU

Tom B

Guru
So a bit of a flap on here.

The aforementioned clutch still hasn't been done. Clutch God has personal issues and can't do it yet.

Took it to another garage who said they could do it next week. But identified issues getting a flywheel. Booked it in and asked them to let me know if they couldnt get one and I'd try to source one. My exact words leaving the places was book it in, and let me know if there are issues.

Called them today to check they'd got one and they couldn't find my booking, but then remembered. They called me back after trying to source a flywheel to advice the flywheels are in short supply and the only one they could get is £400 the job would now cost £1100.

The killer was that apparently because they was having trouble getting a flywheel they booked other work in and now can't do it until I'm on holiday.... In the car.

So now I'm back to trying to find someone to do it. Autodata shows it as a 3.5hr job so hopefully shouldn't be a complex one.

However it is true that flywheels are in short supply for this car and consequently expensive if you can get one (second hand 100k miles dmfs are on eBay for £250!) Annoyingly I can get one for £200 from Germany but it won't be here in time.

Im now considering finding someone to fit just the clutch kit (bearing, friction plate and pressure plate).

Would the learned folk here advise on the sensibility of that? The car seems really smooth and no flywheel noise. I'm more concerned that the flywheel will be worn and won't resolve my issues. (Low clutch bite/dragging clutch)

Any views.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
So a bit of a flap on here.

The aforementioned clutch still hasn't been done. Clutch God has personal issues and can't do it yet.

Took it to another garage who said they could do it next week. But identified issues getting a flywheel. Booked it in and asked them to let me know if they couldnt get one and I'd try to source one. My exact words leaving the places was book it in, and let me know if there are issues.

Called them today to check they'd got one and they couldn't find my booking, but then remembered. They called me back after trying to source a flywheel to advice the flywheels are in short supply and the only one they could get is £400 the job would now cost £1100.

The killer was that apparently because they was having trouble getting a flywheel they booked other work in and now can't do it until I'm on holiday.... In the car.

So now I'm back to trying to find someone to do it. Autodata shows it as a 3.5hr job so hopefully shouldn't be a complex one.

However it is true that flywheels are in short supply for this car and consequently expensive if you can get one (second hand 100k miles dmfs are on eBay for £250!) Annoyingly I can get one for £200 from Germany but it won't be here in time.

Im now considering finding someone to fit just the clutch kit (bearing, friction plate and pressure plate).

Would the learned folk here advise on the sensibility of that? The car seems really smooth and no flywheel noise. I'm more concerned that the flywheel will be worn and won't resolve my issues. (Low clutch bite/dragging clutch)

Any views.

Not very learned with these DMF, what’s the garages mechanics point of view ?

Top Bottom