Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
3 hours in yesterday, pulled AWD coupler out and managed to remove gearbox seal, went to fit new one and wrong fxxcking size..

I had first beer in 3 weeks after that.

Ordered genuine seal today so my nights are going to be laid under car after work to get it all back together.

Made a brace for the PTU and will conver it to stud and nut fitment so not a complete waste of time..

3 hours in yesterday, pulled AWD coupler out and managed to remove gearbox seal, went to fit new one and wrong fxxcking size..

I had first beer in 3 weeks after that.

Ordered genuine seal today so my nights are going to be laid under car after work to get it all back together.

Made a brace for the PTU and will conver it to stud and nut fitment so not a complete waste of time.. View attachment 549601
A bit of nostalgia there! I can remember days of lying underneath a car . What I hated the most was trying to weld or grind in that position and having sparks bouncing around and going into my ear ! :angry:

Our Kia Venga has got an ESP warning light come up on the dash . I thought I would check to see if other Kia owners have had similar problems and what the reason might be . It seems as though the garages have used a" suck it and see " approach and fitted new steering columns which didn't seem to cure the problem . I did find a couple of causes which I may have to investigate . Battery low! Could be as the battery is the original on a 11 plate . Battery earth contact . Brake pedal switch .
My original thought was the ABS rings so I have got a few Suck it and Sees to perdue.
It seems as though the car has become jealous of the attention my new car is getting . :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check the ABS rings - although that warning usually comes up at speed - mine had cracked, and didn't show up other than at 60 mph, where the sensor can then detect the tiny difference in the gap between the teeth - just couldn't sense it at lower speed. Easy to see when under the car and turning the wheel.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
If its abs rotors then the light is likely go off with the ignition and reset til next time. If its sensors, or something on the electronic side, itll likely be permanently illuminated, on at all times with the iginition. Slightly more advanced code readers will read ABS systems (I use iCarsoft V2).

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Replaced both tailgate hinges on the Volvo today, the old ones were split along their length and held together with a mixture of silicone sealant and gaffer tape. Also made new wiring looms for each side, so I now have functioning central locking on the tailgate, and (hopefully, as yet untested) a working heated rear screen.
Rear light clusters next, and then I'll turn my attention to the heated seats, which are somewhat less than heated at present. Getting the seats out is easy enough and it would seem that stripping down to find the faulty heat pad is reasonably straightforward. One for a rainy day I think.

keithmac

Guru
Some systems use a magnetic strip that is part of the wheel bearing rather than a tone wheel, sneeze near it and its knackered..

Managed to get the seal in the gearbox and all built up, 20 miles so far leak free.

Horrible job, took an hour just to press the seal in, had about 6 inches of room between PTU and gearbox.

D

Deleted member 26715

When & picked up the subframes & suspension from the powder coaters, then set about putting the new 22 polybushes in, got 3 in then noticed I'd put the wrong 3 in so had to take them back out again & put the right ones in Arrrrrrrrrrgh

The marks are dirt where they were stood outside the guys works

Oh what fun ! I jacked the Venga up, removed both wheels and crawled around on the floor. I removed the ABS sensors and had fun cleaning out each of the teeth on the reluctor and then cleaned the sensors off with white spirit .I did a road test later and the light didn't come on . I'm not sure if I have fixed the problem yet as the light has been a bit intermittent today .

Top Bottom