Car Fashions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Of all the things you've come out with over the years: funny, weird, bizarre and strange, this takes the biscuit.

So if a 60 year old car is deemed roadworthy without having an annual test to look for faults and defects,how come for example a 3 year old car that's done maybe only 8,000 miles isn't deemed to be roadworthy unless it's MOT'd? I can accept the not paying 'road tax' as the car's probably had loads of 'road tax' spent on it over the decades,but to be exempt from an annual safety check I can't understand. I stand by my point about MOT's being a con if a car doesn't need one just because it's very old.but other cars do because they aren't very old.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
So if a 60 year old car is deemed roadworthy without having an annual test to look for faults and defects,how come for example a 3 year old car that's done maybe only 8,000 miles isn't deemed to be roadworthy unless it's MOT'd? I can accept the not paying 'road tax' as the car's probably had loads of 'road tax' spent on it over the decades,but to be exempt from an annual safety check I can't understand.

Because the DoT found that the people driving 60 year old cars have to put so much time and money into keeping them moving that covering the basics needed for an MOT is a given. Add in that these cars do extremely low mileages each year and it's just not worth the effort.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
GC
So if a 60 year old car is deemed roadworthy without having an annual test to look for faults and defects,how come for example a 3 year old car that's done maybe only 8,000 miles isn't deemed to be roadworthy unless it's MOT'd? I can accept the not paying 'road tax' as the car's probably had loads of 'road tax' spent on it over the decades,but to be exempt from an annual safety check I can't understand. I stand by my point about MOT's being a con if a car doesn't need one just because it's very old.but other cars do because they aren't very old.

You may (or may not) find it of interest, that IIRC, there was considerable debate within the classic car world at the time of the introduction of the new rules, about the exemption. Certainly in the circles I moved in and the publications I read at the time, opinion was divided.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If all I did was that mileage I'd get rid of the car. You're piddling money up the wall.

Yes I know. When the MOT is due in August I might sell it. Though i'm pretty sure it won't need any work doing on it apart from maybe something like a new windscreen wiper blade.

Edit..I'd probably give it away to a 'deserving cause' to save me the hassle of trying to sell it. Though I did offer it free to my daughter when she passed her test about a year ago,but she called it 'cheese on wheels' and 'too old to be seen in'. Talk about ungrateful!:headshake:Like all of them now,she had to have a nearly new car costing her god knows how much to pay back a month. Not like us who bought old bangers eh! Eeeh,those were the days!!:cheers:

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes I know. When the MOT is due in August I might sell it. Though i'm pretty sure it won't need any work doing on it apart from maybe something like a new windscreen wiper blade.

Edit..I'd probably give it away to a 'deserving cause' to save me the hassle of trying to sell it. Though I did offer it free to my daughter when she passed her test about a year ago,but she called it 'cheese on wheels' and 'too old to be seen in'. Talk about ungrateful!:headshake:Like all of them now,she had to have a nearly new car costing her god knows how much to pay back a month. Not like us who bought old bangers eh! Eeeh,those were the days!!:cheers:

Certainly not like all of them, I know of plenty of the younger generation more sensible than some older. I have 3 boys all home owners, only the youngest has a mortgage and that only a small one.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I only drive around 5000 miles a year and I recon I'm not using the car enough, if I only did a 1000 miles a year I wouldn't bother.
I just use it for shopping trips and my trips to the pub about 4 times a week. I bought it mainly for going to see my mum who lived 38 miles away,but she died last August so I don't do anymore than around 10 mile journeys these days. If I didn't have it i'd miss my pub trips,so for the sake of about £550 tax and insurance a year it's worth it. It's 15 years old and only done 37,000 odd miles,though a bloke I know who does similar journeys to me has a 1996 Micra that's done less than 30,000 miles he told me.

D

Deleted member 1258

I just use it for shopping trips and my trips to the pub about 4 times a week. I bought it mainly for going to see my mum who lived 38 miles away,but she died last August so I don't do anymore than around 10 mile journeys these days. If I didn't have it i'd miss my pub trips,so for the sake of about £550 tax and insurance a year it's worth it. It's 15 years old and only done 37,000 odd miles,though a bloke I know who does similar journeys to me has a 1996 Micra that's done less than 30,000 miles he told me.

I'd cycle too the pub, or pick a pub within walking distance.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Saw one of these the other day

18485398_941276819348420_6180537504597566517_n-e1504624316379.png

Not really my thing but i turned my head and is pretty good looking up close .

Top Bottom