Car Fashions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My old man had one of these when I was a nipper in Ireland. It looked fug ugly then and time has not improved it either -

280px-1948_Ford_Prefect_E93A.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My mother had a series of Cortinas in the 60s and 70s.

Reliable family motoring, although Fords were not without their critics.

'Dagenham dustbins' as some called them, then there was the couplet: 'bits of tin and bits of board, go together to make a Ford'.

The bigger Fords - Zephyrs/Zodiacs and later Consuls/Granadas - were said to be 'brickies' motors' - a snobbish reference to the social type of the Ford buyer.

A true gentleman, people would say, does not drive a Ford.

otek59

My mother had a series of Cortinas in the 60s and 70s.

Reliable family motoring, although Fords were not without their critics.

'Dagenham dustbins' as some called them, then there was the couplet: 'bits of tin and bits of board, go together to make a Ford'.

The bigger Fords - Zephyrs/Zodiacs and later Consuls/Granadas - were said to be 'brickies' motors' - a snobbish reference to the social type of the Ford buyer.

A true gentleman, people would say, does not drive a Ford.
A true gentleman would probably have driven a Rover or a Jaguar

kapelmuur

Veteran
Rovers were driven by doctors and bank managers.

On the theme of ugly cars, I had a Fiat Multipla and was the subject of much derision especially at work as I had selected it as my company car.

It was a brilliant family car and when we talk about the many cars we’ve had the Multipla comes out as favourite.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Rovers were driven by doctors and bank managers.

On the theme of ugly cars, I had a Fiat Multipla and was the subject of much derision especially at work as I had selected it as my company car.

It was a brilliant family car and when we talk about the many cars we’ve had the Multipla comes out as favourite.

I've heard that the Multipla was great for those inside it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I spotted an old Hillman outside a local supermarket on Saturday evening. I asked the driver about the car. He told me that it was 60 years old and was bought brand new by his grandparents. He said he only brings it out for special occassions,like the wedding he'd been to that day. He said it was a very uncomfy car and he'd rather drive his newer 1983 Ford Fiesta. He also said it didn't need 'road tax' and a M.O.T either. Can anyone tell me why it doesn't need an M.O.T? Surely a car that old must be susceptible to rust and parts suffering wear and tear. Maybe this shows that M.O.T's are a con and aren't really needed.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I spotted an old Hillman outside a local supermarket on Saturday evening. I asked the driver about the car. He told me that it was 60 years old and was bought brand new by his grandparents. He said he only brings it out for special occassions,like the wedding he'd been to that day. He said it was a very uncomfy car and he'd rather drive his newer 1983 Ford Fiesta. He also said it didn't need 'road tax' and a M.O.T either. Can anyone tell me why it doesn't need an M.O.T? Surely a car that old must be susceptible to rust and parts suffering wear and tear. Maybe this shows that M.O.T's are a con and aren't really needed.

Of all the things you've come out with over the years: funny, weird, bizarre and strange, this takes the biscuit.

Top Bottom