car for sale,perfect for cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
anyone want to buy my old c class mercedes?the heater doesnt work so you still get the cycle commuting feel when driving (freezing!!) gloves are a must,overshoes get in the way of the pedals!!!!any takers???;):biggrin:

Aint Skeered

Happy memories, I used to own a Ford Fairlane convertable. That to had no heater, the ice used to form on the underside of the convertible hood, and when the car eventually warmed, up myself and whoever else in the car used to get soaked by the thawing ice.

stevenb

gary r said:
anyone want to buy my old c class mercedes?the heater doesnt work so you still get the cycle commuting feel when driving (freezing!!) gloves are a must,overshoes get in the way of the pedals!!!!any takers???;):biggrin:

What model is it? Miles on the clock?
Is it the matrix causing the fault?
Have you checked all the fuses etc etc?

They are great workhorses indeed.
:laugh:

bonj2

just get any portable heater that can run off 12V and run a cable in from the battery, have it resting on the passenger seat, or in the footwell or on the dash if it'll fit. t'll be piss easy, no point going to all the bother of wiring on ein.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:
just get any portable heater that can run off 12V and run a cable in from the battery, have it resting on the passenger seat, or in the footwell or on the dash if it'll fit. t'll be piss easy, no point going to all the bother of wiring on ein.

that wouldn't work.

think about your car heater, and compare it to a domestic fan heater...car heaters are in the 2kilowatt ballpark

given that P=VI then you're looking at 160 amps.

that'd need a f++++++fat wire and in any case is beyond the ability of the alternator

Keith Oates

Janner
That'll keep you warm once only, but if that's what you need go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
Twenty Inch said:
Is it diesel? Piccies and details, please.
1993 (L reg) C180 Esprit 115,000 miles,Petrol,silver.I can take some photos & send them if anyone is interested i would take £500 for it as the heater/fan is broken.Just mail me if you want more info,Located in Camberley surrey

Is the fan really broken? i.e. not working. Or is it just blowing cold air? If the latter, then the valve to the heater matrix is probably stuck. Many cars have a guillotine type gate between the in cabin heating system and the engine's cooling system. Over the summer, as the heating isn't used, this can seize up. First cold day, try to open it, wire or control pops off, no heating. Might be a really easy fix.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
Twenty Inch said:
Is the fan really broken? i.e. not working. Or is it just blowing cold air? If the latter, then the valve to the heater matrix is probably stuck. Many cars have a guillotine type gate between the in cabin heating system and the engine's cooling system. Over the summer, as the heating isn't used, this can seize up. First cold day, try to open it, wire or control pops off, no heating. Might be a really easy fix.

thanks for the advise,there is no fan at all.you do get some heat when going fast,But sitting in traffic its freezing!!! I have bought a replacement car now,It has been a good reliable car for the 2 years ive had it (never let me down)so i just want to get shot of it now.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Put a caravan heater in it. They run off 12V. Could then do it up to make it look like a motor home, and do one better on Jeremy Clarkson.

Top Bottom