Car HiFi - is it a danger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
The distractive abilities of using mobile phones whilst driving are well documented. Has there been any similar research into the numbing effects of high volume sound systems in cars? Intuitively it would seem that ear bending garage stuff would be a greater danger of impairing concentrated driving to a pleasant Radio 3 Mozart Symphony or even her indaws discussing the meanng of life.

But is intuition correct? And if so what decibel level limits would be useful?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Intuitively it would seem that ear bending garage stuff would be a greater danger of impairing concentrated driving to a pleasant Radio 3 Mozart Symphony or even her indaws discussing the meanng of life.

But is intuition correct?

Dunno. Maybe Mozart would demand more attention. Not from me though, I'm a phillistine.

Buggering around with the controls certainly has a negative effect.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
The distractive abilities of using mobile phones whilst driving are well documented. Has there been any similar research into the numbing effects of high volume sound systems in cars? Intuitively it would seem that ear bending garage stuff would be a greater danger of impairing concentrated driving to a pleasant Radio 3 Mozart Symphony or even her indaws discussing the meanng of life.

But is intuition correct? And if so what decibel level limits would be useful?

Should we also ban passengers or at least gag them.:laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
I could buy the theory that fiddling with the controls of the stereo could cause a problem (why did/do some manufacturers fit the radio out of the normal range of sight? In my car, it's basically on the floor.) but the volume level is not important. With or without music, you won't hear much outside the car anyway. Some people thrive in a a noisy enviroment, others need absolute silence to concentrate.

RedBike

I've no idea but at the moment the only thing that keeps me sane while in the car is the radio.

A good tune or two distracts my attention from the endless stop start traffic jams.

Norm

... but the volume level is not important. With or without music, you won't hear much outside the car anyway.
Only up to a point, IMO. A friend who builds up 4x4 competitive vehicles was given £50k to put ICE into a Grand Cherokee about 6 years ago. That was so loud that my clothing was actually moving from the bass effects from the minigun / rotor blades in the Morpheus rescue scene.

I had to leave the car, it was making me dizzy. Luckily, we were still parked in the workshop at the time but we went for a drive the next day and the builder cranked up some Massive Attack track and I had to ask him to turn it down, I couldn't reliably drive the thing.

An extreme example, I know, but there are plenty of cars out there which pump out huge amounts of bass, I find it hard to imagine that doesn't have some detrimental effect on the driver's ability to concentrate.

I think that it is an essential safety aid.

As soon as you hear car approaching with loud bass based music you know it will be a chavriolet and appropriate action taken because the chances are the driver is a numpty!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Tis indeed a danger, lab tests reveals that subjects experience poor periferal vision when listening at high levels (reported in New Scientist several years ago)

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
Tis indeed a danger, lab tests reveals that subjects experience poor periferal vision when listening at high levels (reported in New Scientist several years ago)
Thanks Sheddy - I'll try track down the paper they must have based the article on. And of course we are talking about levels of sound that are likely to cause lasting damage to the occupant too. I guess need to look up the maximum db allowed in the workplace without ear protection as a guide ... a max db ICE output could be made part of the MOT and people who did swop a more powerful amplifier in between would give themselves away to a passing copper.

After all emergency service sirens are designed to be heard inside a car at normal sound levels so this is a safety issue for them (and us) too. Indeed the inflation of sound necessary to penetrate vehicles is an issue to those in uninsulated houses or on bikes who are consequently deafened by the near constant wail of police and ambulances in urban areas. Oh when a tinkling bell was all that was needed.

tyred

Legendary Member
Of course, it all depends on what you are listening to. Accidently stumbling on a Cliff Richard song while re-tuning the radio has been shown to cause momentary madness and loss of control of your vehicle.

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
No luck with the NS acticle, but I found this - http://www.cvgs.k12....ntroduction.htm
I think this may be the key paper: http://cmsprod.bgu.ac.il/NR/rdonlyres/2CF3D675-D9F2-4EA7-8E0B-F042F265F095/81122/17_TRF.pdf

It would appear to support my hypothesis. Strange, nothing appears to have been done as a consequence. There seems to be no interest in creating a safe driving environment. I would have thought the aircraft industry works quite hard to optimise the pilot's judgement and avoid distraction. Given they kill far fewer, it would be nice if the automobile industry was prodded in the same direction.

mark barker

I guess need to look up the maximum db allowed in the workplace without ear protection as a guide ... a max db ICE output could be made part of the MOT and people who did swop a more powerful amplifier in between would give themselves away to a passing copper.
I used to own a car audio shop and built many systems for customers. A decent install will make very little noise outside the car, but inside would be a very different story! Sadly the muppets with corsas etc that think the key to a decent system is more bass give the car audio trade a bad name! Sound deadening material makes a huge difference to the sound quality inside the car and stops the rattly, farty noise that chavs seem to have perfected.

As an aside, we were advised by the HSE to supply warning stickers and ear plugs with some of our equipment!

Top Bottom