Car horn switch/activator positions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
*wanders off to find where the car's horn is*

I just asked my wife.

In the middle she said.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Genuine question, how often do you really need to sound the horn in normal driving?

It's very, very rare for me to have to sound the horn. For the record, it's located on the end of the indicator stalk in mine and is easy to find on the very rare occasions that I need it.
Yeahbut you're probably not French or Italian :smile:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Is it still an offence to sound your horn after 11pm in a built up area?
When I was 19 driving my old Beetle, I was once stopped by a couple of friendly policemen who 'thought' they heard me sound my horn after 11pm returning from Leeds with a carful of friends. One of them used the 'opportunity' to have a chat with me in their nice warm Rover SD1 about where I'd been and seemed very interested which insurance company I preferred to use while the other one seemed really keen to make sure all the bits worked on my car. When I said that I'd had a very pleasant evening with my friends in a local pub drinking tomato juices because I didn't like alcohol much they got very excited and asked me to blow into one of their little bags. They said the top bit might change colour from green to something else and seemed crestfallen for some reason when it didn't, despite taking it to the front of their car to look at it closely in their headlights whereupon they seemed to think it might be broken... they then bade me a somewhat dejected 'good evening' and went on their way.

tyred

Legendary Member
A lot of early Japanese cars had horn buttons all over the place. Perhaps Accy should consider a classic Toyota 🤔

T4tomo

Legendary Member
we defo had a car that had the horn on the end of one of the instrument stalks. Might have been a Chevette

tyred

Legendary Member
we defo had a car that had the horn on the end of one of the instrument stalks. Might have been a Chevette
It's on the end of the indicator stalk on my Peugeot 205 too. It was on the stalk on Ford Cortinas too IIRC.

I think it's the best place personally as when you have your hands on the wheel in the normal 10 to 2 position you can reach it without moving your hand.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My mini has the horn button in the middle of the steering wheel where it should be.

I remember however my first car (an Alegro) had the horn on the end of a stalk and the wash/wipe on the end of the opposite stalk. One day sat behind a car at red traffic lights I decided the windscreen could do with a clean. Unfortunately I hit the button on the wrong stalk giving a short blast of the horn whereupon the car in front shot off with the traffic lights still on a red :blush:

Soon it will be on the Electronic Control Panel/Touch Screen/iDrive etc under

Third Party Interaction -> Audible Interface -> Default Horn -> Sound Horn -> Level 3 ^ Are You Sure that you want to sound the horn?

This will save the manufacturer a couple of quid by doing away with the button, added to which you will be able to choose the default horn sound, possible options could be
  • Hello this is Joanie - Paul Evans
  • Knockin' On Heaven's Door - By Bob Dylan
  • Blaze of glory - Bon Jovi
  • Another one bites the dust - Queen

a.twiddler

Veteran
How is it that even with all the practice he gets @Accy cyclist still can't find the horn button? I can't remember when I last used it in the car or on the motorbike but I definitely know where it is. It seems to me that having a big central button is a very clumsy way of doing it. The indicator stalk button lets you use the whole range from a gentle pip to a mighty blast using just a finger without taking your hand off the wheel.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're having to use the horn 2 or 3 times a week then maybe you need to have a think about your driving. I reckon I've used my horn maybe 2 or 3 times ever.

That may be an exaggeration but not by much. I used it a couple of weeks ago but I can't remember a time before that.
Mine has horns like a supertanker fog horn. Ive usually let rip 2 or 3 times before reaching the end of the road.

Top Bottom