Car horn switch/activator positions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you're having to use the horn 2 or 3 times a week then maybe you need to have a think about your driving. I reckon I've used my horn maybe 2 or 3 times ever.

That may be an exaggeration but not by much. I used it a couple of weeks ago but I can't remember a time before that.

It really depends on how a driver interprets hazard perception. When I see a driver at a junction looking away from me for more than a couple of seconds. I interpret that as a driver that might pull out into my path without looking. A quick bip invariably brings their attention to me approaching.

Given that around 50% of all collisions take place at or very near intersections it would seem prudent to use all vehicle features to mitigate against a very common issue :okay:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It really depends on how a driver interprets hazard perception. When I see a driver at a junction looking away from me for more than a couple of seconds. I interpret that as a driver that might pull out into my path without looking. A quick bip invariably brings their attention to me approaching.

Given that around 50% of all collisions take place at or very near intersections it would seem prudent to use all vehicle features to mitigate against a very common issue :okay:
True.

But it depends on the inattentive driver's hearing ability and whether on hearing a 'bipped' horn they don't immediately respond by setting off at pace without pausing to check, thinking that someone behind them is getting too impatient... I agree that it's inattentive drivers who cause the accidents.

CXRAndy

Guru
True.

But it depends on the inattentive driver's hearing ability and whether on hearing a 'bipped' horn they don't immediately respond by setting off at pace without pausing to check, thinking that someone behind them is getting too impatient... I agree that it's inattentive drivers who cause the accidents.

You're right, but there is only so much you can do other than stopping at every side junction, wandering pedestrian. A quick bip usually initiates a response. If it doesn't I'll do it again

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
This thread is hilarious when you read it in the voice of Partridge. It's like a third series of "I'm Alan Partridge" that you never knew existed.

"Look Lynne, if the horn is on the indicator stalk, and your hands are at ten to two, you can reach it without taking your hands off the wheel".

Screenshot_20211108-215045_Chrome.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mine is some where. Dare not sound it as it's rather good/loud for a boring saloon car. Proper fog horn. MrsF's car has a rubbish beep for an SUV. :whistle:

Not the horn as such, but it does amuse me when walking past some cars, to see that the instructions for such as wiper speed etc, are drawn on the end of the stalk, making it impossible to see unless you're outside of the car.

Some expert got paid well to design it that way, and a committee would have approved it. :laugh:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As i was walking past a 'souped up' VW Golf this evening, the driver of the parked up vehicle decided to sound his horn. I stopped, then semi looked back as if to say 'did you really have to do that when a pedestrian is walking past you'! To be fair, he wound down his window and apologised, saying he was testing his horn. It was dark and he probably didn't see me, but i'd never sound a car horn when a pedestrian or a cyclist is near my vehicle, unless i wanted to warm them of my presence and even then it'd be a 'pip' not a blast.

Top Bottom