Car insurance opt-in/out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I took out my car policy online with Admiral and received a letter to say they're going to auto-renew in 2 days time. I have been on hold for 45 mins so far to try and cancel but no luck yet. there is absolutely no facility online to opt out of auto-renewal, and I certinaly didn't select that (there wa no option) on the online form.

My question is, are these companies still allowed to work on the basis of opt-out only? I thought all that was stopped and they had to ask you to opt in?

If I don't get through to them, they will renew my policy and I've already taken out another one with a new company (saving £98 on my renewal)

Drago

Legendary Member
At least dick Turpin wore a mask so you knew he was into daylight robbery.

Smudge

Veteran
This auto renew should be stopped altogether and not allowed to be done. But many are doing it now, i've even told my ins company not to do it, yet i find out its still on there when it comes round for renewal.
Always assume you have auto renew, and check your ins for it weeks before renewal date.

I would tell your bank to stop any payments to this ins company. They legally cannot insure you as you already now have insurance on the vehicle, a vehicle cannot be insured twice.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It is useful when people forget to renew and cover rolls over.

Apart from that I agree there should be an easy way to cancel it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Email the insurer notifying them of your wish to not renew and tell your bank to stop any payment request from them.

I had the same problem and it was easily fixed because I had the email showing I had instructed them not to auto-renew prior to the renewal date.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Thanks all. FInally got through to them, have cancelled it. I asked how they are allowed to operate like this, and why isn't there the option to opt out online. I got a politicians response, mostly irrelevant to my question.

Good idea about stopping payments through the bank. My only worry is that if I e-mail them, I may not get proof of receipt or proof of action taken. If I cancel the payments through the bank, they will likely charge me for breach of contract (ending the policy early).

Anyway, I've calmed down a bit now, but I used my "on hold" time to complain to the insurance ombudsman if anything will come of that

glasgowcyclist

Worse case you have 14 days to cancel anyway. Can you not do it online?
Some companies are really sneaky and don't offer the option to do it online or even via email. Instead they provide a telephone number where you wait forever to get through.

It really should be outlawed.

glasgowcyclist

If I cancel the payments through the bank, they will likely charge me for breach of contract (ending the policy early).

You have no need to worry there; you’re not ending the policy early, you are not exercising the option to renew.

For anyone else about to do the same thing, be sure to avoid saying you want to cancel your insurance and make sure you are clear that you are declining their offer to renew. The former could lead to a cancellation charge.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
You have no need to worry there; you’re not ending the policy early, you are not exercising the option to renew.

For anyone else about to do the same thing, be sure to avoid saying you want to cancel your insurance and make sure you are clear that you are declining their offer to renew. The former could lead to a cancellation charge.
Never use the word cancel as they will charge you. I had this last year time and I had to say no, I am not cancelling just not renewing, cheeky blighters.

D

Deleted member 26715

It is useful when people forget to renew and cover rolls over.
Sorry but this is the type of bullshit they use to try to turn it around on their customers, like they are doing them a favour.

They also seem to lose a lot of emails, the OP should have had by now at least 2 more emails, one at 30 days with a new quote & again at 7 days, it would appear neither were sent, just underhand tactics from companies supported by the government for legalised theft.

I think I've made my views clear on car insurance companies for many years, problem is whilst ever they continue these practises my views will not change, not that they care anyway.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I did receive the emails, but every time i tried to get through to cancel the auto renew, i was on hold for ever.

I'm tempted next time to submit a query via email and wait until they call me, then opt out when they're on the phone

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just got my van renewal, direct line.
Gone up £8 to £176 F,C
Very happy as that is quite a loaded policy.
No breakdown, but legal and personal cover windscreen and courtesy car

Top Bottom