Car insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
As a result of my recent injury, the doctor has told me I can't drive for about the next ten weeks.

Would it be reasonable to expect my insurers to reduce my premium to account for the reduced risk?
I'm fully comprehensive if that makes any difference.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 5562112, member: 9609"]they're slippery buggers, be careful.[/QUOTE]
Yep

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Maybe phone the weasels up and ask. But.... they might then assess you as being more of a risk, and put your premium up.
Sneaky barstewards.

If no one else drives the car, and it's off road, you could consider Sorn and save a bit of Road Fund Licence? ££

10 weeks? I was driving after 4 and the docs were fine with it. They said as long as I had full range of motion and no pain in sudden movements I’m good to go.

I wasn’t plated mind and obviously I am also closer (many would argue indistinguisahble) to the ideal human physique.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

If no one else drives the car, and it's off road, you could consider Sorn and save a bit of Road Fund Licence? ££

The car is zero-rated for VED so no benefit in doing that.

My brother is a named driver on the policy (as I am on his) but that's a reciprocal arrangement for emergencies only. He has never driven my car, has two of his own anyway and lives 40 minutes away.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

They’ll also likely charge you an admin fee for changing. I wouldn’t mention it for the sake of £50. When’s your renewal date?

Renewal is January 2020.

D

Deleted member 26715

I would be inclined to say nothing, they will only use it against you in the future, it's all legalised theft, but I have a irrational beef about car insurance

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would agree with Phaeton, The company would probably charge you an admin fee, then they may want you to go for a medical test when you get your license back, and no matter what the outcome of that, they may well up your premium because of the supposed risk due to the illness.
Best to stay quiet and carry on when you are able to drive again.

tom73

Guru
Not worth it they'd find some way to charge you for it or if they don't some way to make you end up paying more in the end. Think of it this way if you're not using it the risk of you having some clown running into you. Then having to claim which in the longer term is worth much more to you than the few quid you may get out of them.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
As others have said, there'll be an admin fee and they might only count full months so possibly only one month's discount.

You could just cancel your DD then try for a new quote when you're fit to drive again.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
You still have the benefit of fire and theft cover even if you aren’t driving it. Imagine if you cancelled it for 10 weeks and someone stole it.
It just isn’t worth the bother.

Top Bottom