Car Lights Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes, but as above in most cases

Profpointy

Legendary Member
the full beams might not be properly aligned. On my otherwise excellent motorcycle full beams currently illuminate the trees and you can see f-all

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Not checked on my own car but I had a hire car (Fiesta) that did that once and the throw on the main beam was terrible- I did so much of the journey on dipped else I lost the road about 20m in front of the car.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The merc and the yeti may have different lights too.modern cars ,especially higher spec have HID lights and other fancy things like daytime running lights..
my new kia has amazing lights..

the Berli will be halogen

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I also used to have a 4-headlighted triumph vitesse (basically a souped up herald). When I got it dips were one pair and beams (incidentally aligned skyward) were the other with only one or other pair at a time. All 4 were meant to be on for full beams and when that was fixed and the full beams were realligned to point at the road it worked rather well

tyred

Legendary Member
It depends. The standard H4 bulb and it's predecessors had both main and dipped beam filaments in the same bulb so you had a one or the other on situation. I would imagine having both filaments lit together would generate a lot of heat and burn the filaments out in short order.

More modern cars have separate bulbs for dipped and main and they remain on together.

Citreon/Peugeot headlamps are usually pretty decent in my experience. Clean/check connections and alignment.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 4015041, member: 9609"]That is exactly what this van does, hold the stalk back and I can see all of the road.

[/QUOTE]

Rewire the stalk perhaps?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think there was/may still be a limit on bulb output but it applied per lamp so any 4 lamp fronted car could have the dip running still when the main beam was on. This may still apply if the lamps are behind a secondary cover (as a lot of new cars have)
Back in the mists of time (87ish) I remember fitting 'Daylighter' 85/100 watt headlamp bulbs to my ex's 205 (illegal at the time for road use but hey) and they made a heck of a difference on unlit roads.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I do recall lights were either/or and never both but thought it was probably as the bulb would overheat if both were on. I probably just made that up.
The old style bulb had the main beam filament set high and that reflected differently in the light to give a more tighter spotlight type spread. The dip filament had a bit of metal shielding the side it did not want to light and this filament was also set lower to give a wider beam.

Top Bottom