Car manufacturers develop in-car radar ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
Strange you should say that.

Radar, as everyone knows, is the reflection of Elecromagnetic radiation (radio signals) off a surface many yards or miles away.

Radar doesn't work through solid rock, brickwork or bridges.

What radar needs to detect an object, is a reflective surface on that object. Rounded objects, other aircraft with smooth circular fuselages are no problem.
'Radar invisible' objects:- those with multi-faceted surfaces like the Stealth fighter, are a bit more tricky to see a reflection because there ( hopefully ) won't be a surface perpendicular to the direction of the signals.

Other 'Radar invisible' objects include 'Surface hugging' missiles such as the one that hit HMS Sheffield. The radar signal bounces off the sea surface and is lost into the outer atmosphere.

Another 'radar invisible' object is the "Large Triangular' object often seen over Area 51, Nevada. ;)

Matty knows about radar. He knows there is 'through wall covert surviellance' radar equipment.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of driver's that overtake on blind bends etc. 99.99% of the time they get away with it. Unfortunately I was there that 0.01% and instead of having a head on the driver decided to swerve in on me. Faced with a collision I braked hard and somehow managed to unclip, get from the middle of the road (primary) and jump over the footpath into the verge. She came back some 10minutes later after some other nice driver picked up my bike and picked me out of the verge, 'I though I'd hit you', well you would of if I hadn't braked and jumped.

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
in an ideal world all motor traffic would have a tcas system (traffic collision avoidance system) which would use gps/radar data to ensure that none could crash into each other by remotely braking/steering the vehicles.

it's used on aircraft, so it could be made to work. you could even make the system control speed and make jumping a red impossible.

Is that the ability to drive in accordance with the road conditions and your ability? I think it's only a provisional system and doesn't apply after DVLA send you your full driving licence.

jimboalee

alecstilleyedye said:
in an ideal world all motor traffic would have a tcas system (traffic collision avoidance system) which would use gps/radar data to ensure that none could crash into each other by remotely braking/steering the vehicles.

it's used on aircraft, so it could be made to work. you could even make the system control speed and make jumping a red impossible.

Jaguar are working on it. VW have a system.

GPS is not accurate enough yet to position a vehicle in a road lane. As has been said, GPS accuracy is 5m at best for the level of electronics used in consumer mass produced equipment.

There are radar systems on cars which take full control of the vehicle and reverse park for you. Now you can be a Reginald Molehusband and park a Range Rover perfectly.
One word of warning if you ever drive a vehicle with this system. Press the switch and take your hands OFF the steering wheel. The wheel flies round and can break the thumb of the unwary.:tongue:

Trumpettom001

May I interject and ask why no-body is complaing about "cars for blind drivers"?!?!? I don't want to seggregate anyone from society obviously, but it's about as safe as sending a commercial pilot to go fly an F-16... A car that tells you there's an obstruction by blowing air in your face? WHAT!? The only idea that I've heard that was more hair-brained than this one is the "iPad steering wheel mount".

P.s. No offence.

Top Bottom