Car Mechanicing Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Cambridge City Council's garage offer a similar service. Very reasonably priced. Mr R's used them a few times (I'm afraid my car gets serviced by the dealer).

I wonder if the garage is subsidized by council tax payers.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm sure that to change the timing belt on the TDV6 Discovery 3 (& probably 4), the recommended way is/way to remove the body-shell!!
I have heard of it being done, in-situ, by someone with small hands, & a clip-on mirror, to get a view
Not like the days of my old Tdi's.....................

EDIT @ 09:05

My mistake, it's the fuel pump belt that's at the rear, the standard timing belt is at the front, but still well buried!

easier to just leave in situ and fit an electric fuel pump?

Or does the belt drive other bits?

The belt drives the cams.
The belt in question just drives the high pressure fuel pump so can't be bypassed with an external pump. The good news is that despite the stupid location and replacement palava, it can actually be safely ignored because when (if) it does ever fail (and it may never do so in reality) there is no risk of catastrophic damage to anything. The engine simply loses fuel supply and stops. Providing you are prepared for a trip home on the big yellow truck with the flashing lights in this situation, then it is a fair gamble to keep the hundreds of pounds in your pocket and ignore this 'service' item.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On the Haynes manual thing, I always found them pretty useful and helpful. That said I tended to skim read to get thw general idea, then get spannering - a bit like my use of a cooking recipe really - so never really followed the step by step aspects.

The belt in question just drives the high pressure fuel pump so can't be bypassed with an external pump. The good news is that despite the stupid location and replacement palava, it can actually be safely ignored because when (if) it does ever fail (and it may never do so in reality) there is no risk of catastrophic damage to anything. The engine simply loses fuel supply and stops. Providing you are prepared for a trip home on the big yellow truck with the flashing lights in this situation, then it is a fair gamble to keep the hundreds of pounds in your pocket and ignore this 'service' item.
Agreed, it's not a 'bits mash together, if it fails' belt, but still a swine to get to

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Oooo that brought back memories.

Haynes books were great ,i used them all the time.
The bit i particularly liked was " undo nut and slide out the bolt"
Yeah just slide it out... 2 hrs later much hammering ,loads of skin removed and a oxyacetyelne torch ..peice of pizz :laugh::banghead:.

They are brilliant for motorbikes tho

Top Bottom